audition tips

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Dec 14, 2012.

1. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    Once again, I had a horrible audition. I feel like it just gets worse every time, because each audition adds to my fear of auditions. Any tips for overcoming this?

2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Perform, a lot. My senior year was the first year I had a good audition, I was also on heavily sedating medicine. Towards the end of that year I was taken off of them, around the time I started my combo. I did busking to build up my courage, now it is natural to audition.

3. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    Thanks for the advice. How should I find opportunities to perform?

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Relax... Keep anxiety functional, but don't let it get in your way. Easier said than done... but this IS key.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Grab your trumpet, stand and a bunch of Christmas carols, walk around the neighborhood and just play. Remember always that audition committees are listening for what you do well, not what you do wrong.

6. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Quit trying to learn audition material and focus on learning how to play the trumpet... Become a master of fundamentals and you will fear nothing.

You spend all day learning concert band songs, marching band songs, all region songs, concert show songs, audition songs, etc.. plus chasing skirts and all your regular homework... that you never have time in the day to actually practice learning to play the trumpet. You could spend 3-4hrs a day doing just this stuff!

Scales: major, minor, diminished, and all modes of each (ionan, dorian, phrygian, lydian, mixolidian, aeolian, locrian)... plus pentatonic, & blues scales
    Do scales in different patterns too. Rich Willey has a couple great scale books.
    Flexibilities: Irons and Colin... start them slow and focus on getting clean. THEN worry about fast. All over the your whole range.
    Technical Studies: Clarke and Vizzutti. Slow, Clean. Soft.
    Articulation: Good old Arban. While you are doing all your Clarke and Scale work do them wil your K tongue... it's like getting a two for one with your practice time!
    Intervals: Page 20#46 and page 125. Memorize them. go slow. Clean and accurate is far more important than speed. Speed will come. If you want to get the slop out of your playing you need to SLOW DOWN!
    Range: Who cares. If you can play the crap out of your trumpet you will have all the range you need. The guys playing 2nd & 3rd get paid too. You do not need a killer high G or double C to be successful. Stop wasting your time and your chops on high notes when you sound like crap on the low ones.

Then you gotta decide what's next... After all this you will play killer Bb. But maybe then you need to do transposition and orchestra stuff (C, Eb, Picc etc-)
    Or, Jazz-Improvisation... so start learning to transcribe tunes and licks... If you are blessed (or cursed) with high chops you may focus on commercial/lead work. BUT.. Lots of guys can play double C's, but very few of them make a living being a lead player. You gotta be a great all around player and be clean/sober, show up on time, and be the guy everyone likes...There is ALWAYS someone else that can play just as high as you.

When you are prepared beyond reproach than no audition will frighten you. Get to work!

7. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    I'm not sure if that was the case for me today... They would start writing as soon as I mess up.

8. Jfrancis

Jfrancis Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    Hannibal, MO
    I agree with the previous post. It's about knowing the horn stone cold, printed music is just a medium. You need to play until that horn becomes a part of you. Improvise a lot as well, it allows you to feel music in a totally different way, where you are starting play what you hear, rather than what you see - which is infinitely better.

It is all part of the musician's journey, my friend.

9. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Start a band, busk on the street, and take Vulgano's advice, he is usually, if not always, right hence his name is in red. Improv is a good way to build confidence as well.

10. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    Yes, I know. I am prepared. I do dedicate most of my practice to fundamentals. Preparedness is not my problem. That is why I am asking on this forum. I don't know why I get so frightened. I know I have no reason to be, and I know I am prepared. I just don't know... However, thank you for the practice suggestions. Excuse me for all of the repeated uses of "I"s. :D