Audition tomorrow-- need tips

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Pie Girl, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Pie Girl

Pie Girl New Friend

Sep 7, 2010
    I have been practicing my butt off for months for this audition. I will be a senior in highschool and I'm auditioning for a solo in our marching show. It is a led zeppelin show and the solo is in stair way to heaven.

I'd just like any last minute tips, I get really nervous and have a bit of an inferiority complex, I never think I'm good enough. I am first chair technically, (our old lead graduated) but I've heard my main competition and she sounds just as good as I do. My biggest problem is while I can play the music really well I have a really hard time finding where the beat falls and I've only got to play it with the band once.

I also want to clean my horn (its been maybe 6 months) I have a bach strad, but I'm worried that it might mess me up if I don't have time to adjust my playing to the difference of the cleaner horn. Would it be a good idea?

Thanks for all your help!

2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    If you have a few days before the tryout, go ahead and clean the horn. You will adjust in a day or two. If it is tomorrow, skip the cleaning. And then remember for the future why you never want your horn to get that dirty again. Don't forget to clean the mouthpiece- will likely make more difference than the horn.

Jus do your best. We all get nervous before the tryout- your competition will too. Also, and this is really a dirty trick, be sure you play the solo a number of times like during warm up time when the director is around so he/she can know you really can play it.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    just run a snake through the leadpipe -- you can look down and see if it is dirty anyhow. Oil your valves up good!!! -- and then WATCH a great movie!!! or go for a walk -- RELAX. tell yourself this!!! ---- "I am prepared to do the best that I can tomorrow, win, lose, or draw!! I am prepared, I will do my best tomorrow --- there is no reason to be nervous --- cause I am just going to get up there and play the trumpet"

I've been on some gigs - especially in my last 5 years of a comeback to the trumpet --- I did well, because I was prepared -- BUT IT'S the worry factor, that I didn't need!!!! I packed everything for a gig - 3 mpcs, 2 horns, paper towels, an extra change of clothes, 2 bottles of valve oil, pencils, toothbrushes, and a host of other things than I NEVER NEEDED --------------------- I was prepared, my valves were already oiled, I just got up and played ----------------- everything was fine. So my last band gig this weekend, I have calmed down --- although I did pack an extra trumpet (just in case) -- ROFL ROFL ROFL ---- I am calmer now, I just get up and play the best I can, and it all works out beautifully, and I am way less stressed when I have this attitude!!!

4. BachStrad1

BachStrad1 Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2012
    Kalamazoo MI
    Stop worrying about "the competition". All you're doing is letting her live rent-free in your head. At this point, you have done all the work. Have a good dinner, relax, have some fun, get a good night's rest. If you played hard today, hope you did a good cool-down. Have a good breakfast, take a deep breath, go out there & blow them away. By psyching yourself out, you're being your own worst enemy and making the other girl's life easier. You're a trumpet player...we never do that. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

5. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny
    My advice, don't pay attention to advice at this point. Just play.:play:

Juarez-MA likes this.
  6. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    End on a high G (4th ledger line) and do a killer shake and then a kiss off.

That will win you any high school marching band solo.

7. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    You mean, just after this point.

To Pie Girl - your main competition may have also heard you and is quaking in her boots over it. Focus on where you are confident and let it shine through, and good luck!

--bumblebee

8. Sidekick

Sidekick Mezzo Piano User

Apr 14, 2011
    London UK
    You're ready, you've practiced, you know your stuff.

A moment of calm focus, deep breath and just nail that first note... the rest you know.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not good... This part is very vital for utilizing the Vulgano Ray of Power. Back off a bit and maybe your butt will grow back. As a highly trained medical professional, I know these things. Also no a few additional things when I'm medically high.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ahh, I see the problem now... I see you had a Led Butt... Yep, that was good to let play it off in that case... I am sure it will grow back normal.