Audition tomorrow-- need tips

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Pie Girl, Jul 31, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    OK, OK, FedEx (with return postage) me a cup, and I put my pocket change in. Remember, I'm a medical professional, and have lots of pocket change. But you gotta send audio as I just don't tip anybody... Hey, I have some morals...

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So what chair are you when improvising?

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ahh now we get to the problem... here is my advice... the most important advice you will ever get on this topic... You ready now... Here is comes: Tap your feet.

You're welcome... It's a gift.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Interesting... That's the same advice I gave to Kingtrumpet... OK, maybe a little out of context... but pretty close to the same advice.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Man I have GOT to lay off drinking so much coffee in the morning... Gives me SUCH a buzz!

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    At six months... I'd do more than clean it... I'd sterilize it! 91% Isopropyl alcohol will do the trick... You'll be playin clean... REAL CLEAN!

7. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    And a seat in any big band in the world!

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Make sure you know the part. Don't worry about being nervous - that is normal. The competition is nervous too. Clean the outside of the horn and worry about the inside later.

9. Sidekick

Sidekick Mezzo Piano User

Apr 14, 2011
    London UK
    Our apologies about the many messages from gmonady... he's just excited for you.

gmonady likes this.
  10. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Here’s what I did when I was nervous before a solo. I’ve passed this along to my students and it has worked for every one of them. I also worked with a young band who’s first show was in front of a sold out 1200 seat crowd, and they were very nervous and it worked for them also. Here’s the reciepe: You are going to create your own personnal space for your audition !
    When you take your place to audition, imagine you are standing in the middle of a hula hoop. This hula hoop is your protection, and you will not look outside this space of yours, ALL your attention will be focused on everything inside the hoop, nothing outside. No one exists outside this hoop and you are not even going to look outside the hoop, if you are not looking at music then look at your bell, it’s just you and your horn doing your thing, just like standing in your practice space and letting it all go !! Now put all your concentration into your horn, breathing correctly, no pressure on your chops, making your audition sound like a SONG. AFTER you are finished you can look outside the hoop and see all the smiling faces : ) Good luck !

gmonady likes this.