Audition

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by Musician4077, May 29, 2005.

1. Musician4077

Musician4077 New Friend

May 23, 2005
    Essexville, MI
    Mr. Laureano,

I am going to have an audition for an orchestra coming up (at my Northwestern Institute) and I was wondering, do you have any advice? I've never had an orchestra audition before, and am not quite sure what to expect. They told me that I should have one solo excerpt prepared (for which I have the Hummel, which I played this year for solo and ensemble), the normal scale requirements, and also an excerpt (which, I believe and hope, they are sending me). Sight reading is a possibility they say.
    Aside from the playing aspect of it, do you have any additional advice? I can get pretty high-strung at competitions and such, and anything you, or anyone else, could tell me to maybe put me at ease with the process would be a great help!

Thanks,

Jeff

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Mark all of your breathing sots and stick to them once you've decided that they are the best spots.

Play for friends and family about three times before you have to audition.

Breathe nice fat cylinders of air every time you breathe and breathe those cylinders out.

Can you sing all of your music in correct pitch almost perfectly? Try to do that with every piece while you're playing.

Enjoy your audition as a performance!

ML

3. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Musician- When I saw this report I thought of you. Doug Yeo (bass trombone with the Boston Symphony) wrote this. His website also has alot of other very pertinant information that should be very valuable to you. Just substitute the word "trumpet" every time he mentions trombone!

http://www.yeodoug.com/resources/symphony_auditions/yeoauditions.html

Hope that's helpful. Play well!

4. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX