Auditions

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by UL2CSO, Mar 16, 2004.

1. UL2CSO

UL2CSO New Friend

Mar 16, 2004
    Thomaston, Georgia
    Hello to all,

I am doing a project for school and I got to pick my own topic, so I chose, "The Audition Process."

From what I have read, many people here are "up there" in musical knowledge and have been in an audition before. It would help me a lot if everyone could tell me about some of the auditions they have been in.

"What did you play?" "How long was the audition piece?" "What was the performing group you were auditioning for?" "Was it 1st, 2cd, or 3rd chair?"

Also feel free to post anything else you want to add about this topic.

Thank you.

2. trumpetwise

trumpetwise New Friend

Mar 14, 2004
  3. dyeabsley

dyeabsley New Friend

Feb 29, 2004
    New Zealand
    Trumpetwise: You might want to look at the spam aspect, which really annoys people.

4. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    On my website, I have a monthly column written by students. Two months ago it was on how to have a good audition. This month it was written by a different student on the audition process.

They are well written from student's perspective:

Winning Auditions
    The Audition Experience

I hope these help.

M&C

Side note: I have the book from trumpetworkspress on my website. If I see another spam, I do believe I will remove it. :evil:

5. trumpetwise

trumpetwise New Friend

Mar 14, 2004
    Dear dyeabsley,

I am sorry that you are so angry. The post is not spam. Just trying to help. Perhaps you would be helped by the book yourself. Most stage fright problems are directly related to surpressed anger. It could improve your playing. Adolph Herseth and William Scarlett of the Chicago Symphony like this book. Mr. Herseth told the author that "he learned a few things from it". Mr. Scarlett says that "the book continues Arnold Jacobs' work."

The administratot of this site has given full permission to mention the book and its website.

www.trumpetworkspress.com

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Mr. Trumpetwise, like others I am finding that your posts other than the very first one, have added nothing to the website, nor to the discussions about trumpets and trumpet playing.

If you are here to advertise a book, then may I suggest that you contact the site administrator to see about the possibilities of a commercial arrangment? Then you could have your very own "spot" without the need to be entering repetitious messages in all of the various forums. (Actually.. I have a great thought that just occurred to me.... why don't you post your advertising message in " http://www.trumpetplayeronline.com "?... there are many, many more trumpet players there than here who have or are about to have stage fright!)

Also, it would be extremely helpful for us to establish your credentials if you were to say in what way (commercial, familial, etc.) you may be related to the book and/or website, the promotion of which you appear to be exclusively interested in.

Kindest regards.

7. trumpjosh

trumpjosh Pianissimo User

Dec 13, 2003
    I know spam when I see it and so does everyone else here, so please stop it. Buy a banner ad or something. You're not winning any customers this way.

8. trumpetwise

trumpetwise New Friend

Mar 14, 2004
    Dear trumpjosh,

I am sorry that you are so angry. Surpressed angrer is one of the primary reasons for stage fright. The posting and any subsequent posting concerning iit are not spam. I am sorry that your anger has clouded your perception. Perhaps the book could help you too. Recently the author helped a person win a major symphony audition as a result of the research in the book.

Remember, the web administrator gave full authority to mention the book on this site. The book has helped hundreds of people.

Adolph Herseth and William Scarlett of the Chicago Symphony recommend this book and like it.

I would be very careful about slamming a book you know nothing about.
    www.trumpetworkspress.com

9. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    yeah it sounds like you have the mental aspect down(ie mind games) down.

The right way to let us know about your book is simple:

Go to general discussions or a forum you feel best suits your book.

Then select “new topicâ€

Then proceed to tells us why you think your book is worth something…

I bet most people will read it and the press you get will be more in your favor.

If you put as much thought into your book as you did your advertising on this site, the book is an obvious waste of time. i dont care who you know or who likes your book, i am not going to buy it and i will openly tell others not to buy it as well...This is a site for free advice and given your experience you could greatly help out the young man here asking the question but instead you are turning this into a chance to plug your book. shame on you!

now lets get on with answering the question here and talk about auditions.