auditions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lemmon13, Nov 14, 2009.

1. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Several things to think about:
    1) don't practice the material until you get it right -- practice it until you CAN'T get it wrong!

2) an audition is just another playing opportunity. We suffer the most from nerves when we start placing way too much importance on any audition. Sure, if we don't pass the audition we don't get the gig, but worrying about that and obsessing about that won't help, and it surely does a lot to hinder our success.

3) don't play "guess what's on their minds" when you walk into the audition room, whether it's an auditorium or a small classroom. There's no way you can tell what they're listening for or looking for -- you just have to be yourself, play the best you always do, relax about things. Your passing the audition is completely out of your control, so forget about it and just PLAY YOUR MUSIC. If they like what they hear, no matter how poorly you might play, you pass the audition. If the don't like what they hear, no matter how perfectly you might play, you don't get the audition. It isn't fair, it's just a fact of life. So forget about it and relax -- the sun will still come up the next day (unless you take the audition on Dec. 20, 2012, if you believe all this hoo-hah about the Mayan calendar), you'll still get to go out to dinner the evening after the audition, your sweetheart will still love you, they won't take your trumpet away and ban you from music forever. It's just another thing to do that day, so go do it and have fun doing it.

2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I think I play OK.
    I have blown just about every audition I ever took.

I never get nervous on stage, an audition is different and I don't know why.

3. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I believe that the mind set is responsible for that - on a concert you perform, people have come to hear YOU (or the band/ensemble/orchestra whose member you are; audition is set to choose the best candidate=your playing/personality to be judged. I don't know how well I am explaining this in English, but I believe that I will make myself understood.

Sometimes it is easier said than done. When you loose a job for no-musical reasons and make a bad audition, knowing that you are behind on leases and a burden for your family - then it becomes difficult to relax.

4. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I want to tell you about one professional audition I did.

NYC Opera second trumpet.

I got off the train and walked out of Grand central Station and it was poring rain. The line for a cab was about a mile long. I walked a block up the street and got a cab pretty fast but was soaking wet.

When I got to the hall, I checked in and was given a warm up room and was given an order to play the excerpts. A big rehearsal room. You could hear all the other players warming up and they were good. Do I play the stuff the way I learned or the way I was hearing? How can I compete with that?

After about a half hour the manager came in and told me it's time. Like walking to the electric chair. When I went in the room it was empty. I knew they had to be there somewhere listening but, I didn't see anyone.

I played the first one, nothing, second, nothing, and so on. at the end someone yelled "Thank you"

The thing that made me not advance was Carmen Prelude. (or maybe just my playing) My mind started to wander while I was playing. How could I think about so many things and still play the part? Well about half way through my mind got to the people listening and I got nervous and my jaw started to quiver. I couldn't stop it. I did pull it together and finished the audition.

I guess the moral to the story is; stay focused and forget about the others. Do what you can do.

5. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I realize it's easier said than done, but worrying about leases and being a burden for your family won't make you play any better in the audition.

My son just recently made a remark which was very telling, concerning an upcoming audition for a particular spot in a national paid gig -- he said people had been telling him he didn't have a chance, what with competing against Juilliard students and Peabody students and Eastman students and students from all the other big schools. He said that knowing that he didn't have a snowball's chance in hell of making it would allow him to go in and just relax and play a better audition than if he thought he really had a chance of making it and worried too much.

There's no way that you can guess what the auditioners want -- and if you're behind on your lease, trying to get a musical job ain't gonna be the way to go. Never take an audition if your financial future is dependent on you passing that audition because the only way you can guarantee that you'll be the successful candidate is to be sure you're the ONLY candidate. And even then, they may decide to leave the chair vacant and simply hire subs until the ideal candidate auditions.

In the musical world, until you get a tenured position in a full-time professional organization so you can't get fired unless you become totally incompetent, you always need a backup plan for earning money.

6. lemmon13

lemmon13 New Friend

Mar 7, 2009
    I have been working this audition a while not just a week, my problem is just geting nervous. thank you are all the advice!

7. y0da777

y0da777 Pianissimo User

Feb 28, 2009
    do i live here?????
    what are you auditioning for?

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    We cannot win auditions based on the premise that "being liked" will win a spot for us. I would contend that auditions are more a battle to fight than a popularity or beauty contest.

Read James Bond (the movies don't do his character justice)--he prepared the best he could, then stepped into danger knowing full well that he could die. That is cool.

Watch Braveheart. Listen to William Wallace's speech: "...And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our freedom!" That is cool, too.

We have the freedom to make music the best we can at the time. That is all that auditions really ask us to do.

Good luck!

9. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I tell my private students who are auditioning for college or all-state or whatever that since they can't know what the auditioners are listening for, and they can't know what all the other people trying out will play like, that the audition isn't a competition with anybody but themselves. If they walk out of the audition room knowing they have never played any better than that, then they had a terrific audition they can be proud of, even if they don't pass the audition. And if they walk out of the audition room knowing they didn't play their best, then even if they pass the audition it was a lousy audition.

I also tell them that an audition is like running in a race where you can't see the other competitors so you have no idea if you're faster than they are or slower than they are and you can't get a feeling as to what you have to play better than, so just go in and play better than you think you can and you'll be doing the best you can.

10. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Maybe this has always been obvious to everyone else, but when someone told me this, I started feeling better in auditions.

The commettee wants to hear you play well. Believe it or not, they are on your side.

That won't make you a better trumpet player, but it helps me keep a positive mindset and not play fearfully.