Aussie Trumpet Muster Sat 28th June 2014 1:00pm to 4:30pm

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Peter McNeill, Mar 31, 2014.

1. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    One of the nicest horns I played was tj's Olds French model, I offered my Pinto for it but the idea did not go down well.

Regards, Stuart.

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    You too... I thought it was the best playing horn there from what I sampled. It just felt like the most comfortable player...and looked outrageously good.
    Gedeon was interested too...

The colour is unique.

3. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Hi Peter,

June is certainly too cold a time for most things down south... also, avoiding school term time would be a good help for me. And there's always the tyranny of distance in this land (6-8 hour drive for me...)

I'm glad you had a good time,

Kind regards,
    --bumblebee

4. tjcombo

tjcombo Mezzo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    It's certainly thought provoking to play that many horns in a session. I kept going back to my regular players to refresh my benchmark.

The one that I couldn't place on any scale was the Taylor... It was so different to anything I've played - partly because of the weight I guess. The only parallel I could think of on the way home was last time I went to a motorcycle track day. I had a ride on an old two stroke racing bike. The riding position was uncomfortable (almost precarious) for an old b*st*rd like me, and in the power band it was fearsomely quick, I hung onto it for a few laps, but it couldn't beat the lap times on my more civilised four-stroke beast. In the hands of a more able rider, it would probably have gone quicker - and that's what the Taylor felt like. Uncomfortable, great gobs-full of power, but maybe due to the open blow, never felt in control.

I went home and got out my Recording :-)

5. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    TJ,

Alan bought my Schilke . So he has a new horn - it is a great player. He borrowed it about 2 years ago for a few months, I had to pry it off him. He sounds great on it. I will get it to him when he gets back from Thailand.

FYI - Roy (Westgate Band Conductor) was flying out to Rome at 11-00pm last night, and Alan arrived late, but in time for Greg Spence, and flew to Thailand this morning. Lot's of effort from some to attend, so grateful - and 1 sale (un-expected).

The Taylor is something special. ppp to fff no cracks.

6. tjcombo

tjcombo Mezzo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    So you've gone N-1 Pete? Is this like a 1.5% reduction in the flock :-). I'll claim some credit for starting Alan thinking about a new horn with the Studio on Friday. Good news that he has a new horn. It was my brother's move to a Schilke (have to admit it's a great horn) that freed up the Carol that I now have.

It was great that Al made it for Greg's session. We'd talked about the M2M pedagogy as you likely have and it's great to see a long-term established teacher continue to reflect on both playing and teaching. I got a lot out of Greg's session too and must write him a note to say thanks - what a monster player he is.

I dropped one of the attendees - Peter - at the station - he'd come all the way up from Hamilton. What a nice bloke (with serious trumpet CV).

The Taylor is a beast. I don't have the biceps or self-restraint to play something like that in public!

7. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Yes, Peter was having a good Legit jam with Alan playing Mahler No.5, then progressed through a series of works, to the Bb Blues. I just had to join in, but what a nice quick jam.

Peter plays a nice Mt. Vernon, but not sure if he actually took it out of the gig bag. It would be great to keep in touch, he is a gentle-man in the true sense. He plays a nice horn.

My N-1 was a swap for the Tromba in the line-up. I still have the Schilke until Alan comes back from leave, and my Tromba will be here by then, so a N+1-1 =N so withdrawal symptoms avoided.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    And I did not count Peter's Bach Strad Mt Vernon in the numbers.... He had it to compare if he really found something, but I told him we already had one in the list - Stuart had his tabled.

9. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Ah, you bring back memories of my Honda Elsinore which was a pipey beast, it seemed to want to get rid of me each time that 2 stroke power band kicked in, twist and hang on for dear life was the order of the day..... God I loved that bike.....

10. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    [​IMG]