Austrian Brass Ensembles

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by aneel, Oct 2, 2006.

1. aneel

aneel Pianissimo User

Sep 28, 2006
    vienna
    Ed told me to write a little about the brass scene in Austria so hear goes! Firstly I`m really glad some of you guys got to see Mnozil Brass at ITG these crazy cats just go from strenth to strenth! also worth checking out are www.probrass.at an unusual `cross-over`large brass ensemble. www.artofbrassvienna.com (`Strauss and co.`is simply a must have CD!). www.juvavumbrass.com, run by trumpeter Horst Hofer who also runs the Lungau big band, the yearly juvavum brass festival features a
    a special guest each year (in the past Ray Anderson, James Morrison, Bobby Shew, and Bill Watrous to name a few!) www.viennahorns.com (Austria`s version of the London Horn Sound!). No websites but plently of info.
    can be found on: Austrian Brass Connection (ABC)
    and Brass Band Oberösterreich. Enjoy!
    P.S. For info on tons of Austrian `Oom Pa`bands check out the links section of www.machlast.at

Last edited: Oct 3, 2006
  2. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Aneel,

I'm sure our membership would be amazed to learn the number of performances the Wiener Philharmoniker does. Also, tell us about the Vienna Symphony Orch, Klangforum, and other ensembles when you have time to write.

Nice to have a TMer on the ground in such an important musical city...

Watching here with interest,
    EC

3. aneel

aneel Pianissimo User

Sep 28, 2006
    vienna
    Firstly a few websites for you: www.wienerphilharmoniker.at, www.wiener-symphoniker.at, www.tonkuenstler.at,www.mozarteum.orchester.at , www.klanforum.at and for original instrument groups check out: www.weinerakadamie.at, and of course www.musicusconcentus.com The Vienna Phil. is essentially two orchestras,
    the Staatsopernorchester and the Wr. Phil. There is also a fixed stage band, the bĂĽhnenorchester which help out in the pit, if the orchestra is simultaneously on tour
    or for larger works requiring extra brass. (The Ball der Wr. Phil. opens with the brass section hammering out the R.Strauss fanfare named after the orch.) at the last ball I played lead trumpet in the axel rot big band (one of several bands and orchestras playing that evening)
    I had the honour of having a new haircut during the fanfare, standing within blast range!
    more later...

Last edited: Oct 3, 2006
  4. Albert Castillo

Albert Castillo Pianissimo User

Aug 11, 2006
    Munich
    Add ABC (Austrian Brass Connection) with Gansch (prof. in Mozarteum, former soloist of the Vienna Phil.), Tarkovi (Soloist Berlin Phil.) and Klingler (Soloist Munich Phil.). They don't play often, but there's a CD.