Avoiding Injury

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hey_Pauly, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly New Friend

Dec 17, 2010
    Hello fellow trumpet junkies,

Forgive me in advance for the length of this post.

I started playing guitar at a young age. It truly was one of the great, if not the great passion in my life. I studied everything, jazz, blues, rock metal, and classical. I played gigs, wrote music, and taught many lessons. All of this ended when I came down with a still not fully diagnosed issue in both my hands that makes it impossible for me to play. This was devastating for me. Words cannot describe the pain it caused me.

During my time as a guitar player there was always one other instrument I wanted to play, the trumpet. About a year ago I decided to do it and I love it. The romance I had with the guitar is back and maybe even stronger, but I have to admit that I am a little neurotic, I don't want to go through the pain of losing the ability to play again. I am hoping that you wise ones out there can give me some advice on avoiding injury so that I can go on playing my trumpet for the rest of my days. Thanks.

AP

2. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly New Friend

Dec 17, 2010
  3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Hey Pauly,

Sorry to hear about the loss of your guitar playing ..... take heart. Trumpet is a lot less demanding of manual dexterity. It sounds like the injury or affliction you have that prevents you from playing guitar was not from anything you did.

If you approach the trumpet in a sensible manner, with lots of rests mixed in with your playing, you should be fine. Mind your lips and see that they don't get swollen or overworked. Lots of rests. Congrats on the new trumpet playing, it's very rewarding.

You are already on the high road ..... You're a Miles Davis fan!:thumbsup: He's the BEST .... check out the Chris Botti interview (another Miles fan).

Welcome to the forumn.

Turtle

4. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    It is called carpal syndrom and it is opperable

Avoid keyboards, mouses etc, etc.... do a lot of finger and hand excersises , building lego blocks is good thing to do from time to time

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Carpal syndrome is pretty common - I would tend to think if he had that condition then it probably would have been diagnosed as such. Do you really think you can make a more accurate diagnosis than his doctor based on that post over the internet?

Regarding avoiding injury, trumpet is a lot like any other activity and has it's own occupational hazards, both with the hands and the chops, and for me recently, my left shoulder, to a degree - compounded by the fact that I'm also a drummer.

I think that the best way to avoid injury is to listen to what your body is telling you, and back off if you start to feel discomfort or pain. The other typical things apply - don't use too much mouthpiece pressure being chief among them.

Sorry to hear about your hands and guitar playing. I sincerely hope that this passes and you can go back to doing that.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  6. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    Hey Pauly,
    The best advice is don't go nutso trying to hit those extreme high notes. They're not that important and it'll save your chops.:-)

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Welcome to the forum. Hope you are able to recover from the injury to your hands. Then you can play 2 instruments. Most trumpet related injury issue's are related to bad technique. If you can get a competent teacher, that would be a step in the right direction. If that's not possible, then there is all of us here to help as best we can over a forum. The link you posted looks to be a good one. I liked what she said about excessive pressure. Have a good day.:thumbsup:

8. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    Hey Pauly,
    You have a huge head start on trumpet playing by knowing, understanding, and feeling cord changes and modes.
    In the guitar world they pump your head with how the greats would play till their fingers bleed. I've never seen someone actually play until their fingers bleed, but that is put in your mind. In trumpet playing if it hurts, it time to stop. There is gain to play without pain.
    Good Luck,
    Bobby

9. PatMurphy

PatMurphy Pianissimo User

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ
    Music and ESPECIALLY a dramatic instrument like the trumpet is like love.
    Sometime you can get hurt but imagine life with it!
    Like love be prudent, dont be reckless but enjoy it!

10. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly New Friend

Dec 17, 2010
    Thanks everyone for the input. I'm not too worried about hitting high notes, it reminds me of guitar players who are like gunslingers, trying to out duel each to see who can play faster. That doesn't always mean you will make beautiful music. Also the pressure thing makes sense to me. :play::thumbsup:

Gee, hadn't thought of carpal tunnel. ROFL

Cheers,

AP