Avoiding Mute Dents

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 10, 2012.

1. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Over the last few years I have done 3-4 musicals a year, and coming with that, every once and a while during one of those insane take a cup mute out and put harmon half-stem in in 1 measure cut time moments, I will hit the bell of the horn. The people I play with said its pretty hard to avoid, but do any of you have any tips for reducing the "damage". I mean they aren't bad but there are a few marks on the bell from those near-impossible mute changes. Would covering the outer rim of the mutes with a slim layer of felt work, or would it effect how the mute plays?

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    What mutes are you using? The Humes and Berg straight mutes I use have rubber around the ends.

Tom

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I think we have all done this so I can truly relate to this situation. My solution, we "arrange the piece" to have a 2 bar break (drum fill perhaps) that allows us time to make a reasonable change. We also hold classes for all non trumpet playing composers that they must consider the fact that the trumpet is "the" instrument of God, and must be respected as such in their compositions.

4. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    Humes and Berg Cup Mute, Tom Crown straight mute, and a copper Harmon (I forget the brand).

Oh and a Humes and Berg Solotone.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Practically, I think softening the mute surface would result in changing the sound desired by the original mute. The only way around this is if a mute is designed in advance with a protective surface (that still has the ability to stick to the bell), and compensation is made to the metal content that maintains the original sound.

Alternatively, we can place a large ultrathin unlubricated latex condum around the bell. The cork should stick well to this. Talk about thinking outside the box (or the wrapper as the case may be).

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  6. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    Too bad if any of us told Bernstein that (Everyone loves those infamous mute-in-out moments in Overture to Candide), he'd go crazy on us all. And probably win.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Just think how crazy he would have gotten if someone gave him calculus homework to do on Easter... OK... Passover!

8. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    Someone would end up with his baton through the back of their head....

9. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Some guys think of them as a badge of honor.

I took this picture last year when Patrick Hession subbed with our band. Patrick's mute has a couple dents.

The girl is Mrs. Mike Williams. (Mike of the Count Basie Orchestra)

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

10. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    That's quite impressive....My mutes are pretty much spotless minus the corks going on my cup mute, but my bell is seeing its fair share of marks too. A few of the pros I play with and my teacher say they are badges of honor but still, its always one of those damnit moments when you hear the mute clip the bell....

Silver wearing on the other hand I take as a mark of a horn well used....

[​IMG]

Its much worse on the other side. But yeah.