Avoiding Mute Dents

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 10, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    ... integrated from 0 to infinity (and beyond!)

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Oh man I hate that Crown straight. :-)

H&B's straights have, as I mentioned, the rubber around the tip. A Denis Wick has felt around the tip.

One of those might be worth a look.

Tom

3. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    It was a free straight mute, my band director's from college, so I couldn't say no. Better then those crappy Bach plastic ones. Talk about impossible to tune....

I will definitely have to look into a Denis Wick one, and maybe invest in a newer cup-mute considering I haven't paid for a mute yet. (too many trumpet players around here...they give out mutes like free candy on halloween). Now the only thing is my harmon mute...how do I solve that one?

4. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Recork it! Or buy an H&B Wah-Wah Du-All.

Actually, I have too many mutes. PM me and we can do a deal that'll make us both happy.

Tom

5. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    I was thinking of getting the cup mute recorked but it looks like its been mauled by a bear, or an oboe player jealous of how in-tune it is, so it might be worth investing in a new one. But the harmon was my grandfather's when he actually played, its an insanely heavy harmon, plays closer in tune then most I've tried....Would putting a little bit of felt on the top opening affect the sound a lot? I know it would effect the tuning, but its a harmon, it doesn't like tuning lol.

6. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    The best solution : always have TWO identical trumpets, with TWO identical mouthpieces, one open and the other one with the mute. If necessary buy THREE trumpets, or FOUR… :roll:

7. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    It was hard enough convincing my parents to buy me my Bach. If I asked them to buy me a second horn they'd faint. And my savings are dedicated towards saving up for a blackburn lead pipe (my lead pipe has red rot starting on it..boo..)...soo.

8. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Or do like Antoine Curé :

[​IMG]

9. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    How to manage two mutes :

[​IMG]