Awful Penny Lane Piccolo Solo

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TisEkard, Sep 2, 2009.

1. kadleck

kadleck Artist in Residence Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    new york
    P.S. I was lucky enough to do a session for him yesterday (2 tpts, 2 saxes, 1 trb). It was just a horn section overdub. He was very gracious and appreciative of the horn section, and even let us take photos with him.

Tony

2. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I'd feel cheated if I went to that concert. I'm sure the cheapest tickets were around $125 or so, but the producer didn't have the brains to hire a musician for the most famous trumpet solo in pop music history? Bad show, mate!

3. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Well, that isn't really sad in my opinion. The purpose of good art isn't to get people thinking about how it's done, it's to reach something more esoteric inside them. If people don't know that the Penny Lane solo was played on a trumpet, that's fine with me -- it means that the technical details didn't override the artistic details and the music served its purpose.

It's only people who are involved in music beyond a passing amateur level to whom such details become important, because it is part of our life's blood.

4. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    My understanding is that the original wasn't played on a high trumpet. It was recorded at half speed and bumped an octave by doubling the tape speed.

5. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I don't think so.

YouTube - Penny Lane Piccolo Trumpeter

6. krmanning

krmanning Pianissimo User

Apr 18, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    No, it was played by David Mason on a picc. There is a short interview with him available on Youtube.

Darn. Beat me to it.

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    That's show biz. It wasn't that bad - if the keyboard player had done the first part of the picc solo as staccato as he did the last part, it would have been more presentable.

8. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    Now I know what Heather Mills was talking about. That is emotional abuse for sure. Got me stumped how she put up with it for so long.

9. brassplayer

brassplayer Pianissimo User

May 6, 2009
    San Gabriel, CA
    Heather Mills ... stumped ... heh heh ROFL

10. Adrian Perger

Adrian Perger New Friend

Jul 11, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    It's like a bad cover band version. Except the singing's not as good.

It's true that most of the audience would not have known any difference. But it's the muso's job to show them, not exploit their ignorance. This keyboard player is stuffing it up for us all. If you're playing keyboard brass parts in a band- please just use moogs and classic synth sounds, or a bright organ, play the freaking keyboard. You're making illegitimate music playing that- and again, the audience wouldn't have known the difference, except they won't be looking for the trumpet and be left dissapointed.
    A wine maker doesn't say 'only people who've studied wines will know the difference, so let's just make cheap shit.' And in this concert's case, it's in an expensive bottle that should taste way better.
    I'm gonna go find a keyboard forum and abuse the £~[{er$. :)