AYWS ( Atlanta Youth Wind Ensemble ) Auditions~

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jmiacobucci, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Jmiacobucci

Jmiacobucci New Friend

Jun 8, 2010
    Georgia, Atlanta
    Students should prepare approximately 2-4 minutes of music consisting of two contrasting excerpts (one fast/technical and one slow/lyrical) from the standard solo and/or etude repertoire for their instrument. Selected major scales will be asked, and sightreading will be provided.

- I need advice on how to have a successful audition and more importantly what to play! What would you play? and what exactly does it mean when it says " From the Standard solo and/or Etude repertoire for their instrument"? I need some options! Lyrical and technical 2 - 4 Minutes.

Thanks!

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    No one here can give you any information without knowing what you have done in the past. We do not know your level of playing, your sound, or anything about your playing. Sorry.

3. Jmiacobucci

Jmiacobucci New Friend

Jun 8, 2010
    Georgia, Atlanta
    I have been playing since roughly 7th Grade. I am currently the top player in my high school wind ensemble. I am just now looking to perform in a more select group. I am open for anything! I am just curious of there are some... common or popular solo pieces both Technical and lyrical popular auditioned? Anything helps :) No matter the difficulty. I am also now a rising Junior in Highschool.

4. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    An Arban's Characteristic Study (especially No. 1) is a great showpiece for technique. It may take a while to prepare, however, depending on your level of skill. As for the lyrical piece, try one of the second movements of any trumpet concerto. Haydn, Hummel, Neruda are just a few. Even something along the lines of a Concone Etude will be just right. It is important to remember that you want to prepare something that isn't super-hard, so that you can show off your best skills. You don't want them to know your weaknesses!

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It makes the most sense to play stuff that you already have worked out in lessons.

Preparation of something new is not reasonable in a very short time. What solos have you already "mastered"?