B-29s!

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by J. Jericho, Feb 1, 2017.

1. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    FIFI

no longer has to be alone in the sky;

DOC

can now join her.

tobylou8 likes this.
  2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I could only see FiFi, the second video would not down load - not available in my country is the message.

I wonder how many Russian Tu-4 s are still circulating.
    The Russians gave China some in the Tu-76 troop transports, and the Tu-4 Nuclear Bomb capacity.

They are a wonderful design, but were quickly outdated when the Jet age arrived. It was sad to see that one that was found and re-built in the snow, get burned on it's first flight.
    The love of aviation, it is great to see these old birds still flying.

3. J. Jericho

Mar 16, 2011
    Sorry to read about your not being able to see the video; it is concise and very well done. A search for DOC B-29 on YouTube provides alternate videos.

As you mentioned, the story of Kee Bird does not have a happy ending:

According to Wikipedia, three Tupolev Tu-4s remain. None fly.

4. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I've gotten to see FiFi twice live. Impressive to say the least. I've also seen a 17 and a 24 fly over our town. Awesome music in those big radials:oops:

5. J. Jericho

Mar 16, 2011
    The Commemorative Air Force comes to the local executive airport once a year, and occasionally they'll refuel a plane there en route to another show. In addition, the owners of several vintage aircraft (a P-51, an F4u and a couple of Beechcraft Model 18s and Stearman 75s) keep and fly their planes at this airport. It's only a few miles from my house, and whenever I hear them, if I'm not already outside, I get outside fast to see them and enjoy the music to my ears.

6. faulken

faulken Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2013
    Greenwood, IN
    My fondest memory recently was 2003 I think, the local air show had B-17 "Liberty Bell". I was opening up the retail store I was working at, and I heard the 4 engine drone going.. stopped in my tracks and was stoked to see her flying.

another note, my grandfather Victor was in pacific theater ( support for B-29's).

Huge fan of Memphis Belle.. she will be on display at Wright Patterson AFB in Dayton later this or early next year.

7. adc

adc Pianissimo User

Jan 12, 2017
    Elizabethtown, Pa.
    I am a WWII junkie. There is a great book on the B-29 by Grahan Simons. The story of its design and construction boggles the mind. Next to the A-Bombs..the biggest project in WWII

8. J. Jericho

Mar 16, 2011
    A milestone has been accomplished:

operagost and Vivek Patel like this.
  9. Tom Pennell

Tom Pennell New Friend

Mar 21, 2016
    Melbourne, Australia
    On a regular basis I get to see a pair of Chinese CJ-6 Nanchangs, a derivative of the Russian Yak 18, engaging in mild aerobatics and even a "dog fight", at the end of my street, overlooking Port Phillip Bay, Melbourne. The sound of 18 radial cylinders is exponentially better than 9 cylinders!
    At last years Tyabb Airshow we had amongst other things, a fully restored F4u, a Grumman TBF/TBM Avenger, a brace of T28s, a flock of Harvards, a Curtiss P-40F , Supermarine Spitfire, Stewart S-51D scale replica P-51D powered by a big block chevy, interesting sound, Ryan PT-22, a C.A.C (Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation) CA-18 Mustang. These were made under licence in Melbourne during WW11, still with the glorious Merlin engine.
    The list goes on, but I think you get the picture. Just what is the connection between vintage warbirds and vintage trumpets? If only I could get my horn/s to sound like a Merlin!
    Regards, Tom

J. Jericho likes this.
  10. curlydoc

curlydoc Pianissimo User

Mar 29, 2017
    Grand Marais, MN
    Are there any B-24s still flying?