B# Augmented Triad...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet blower88, Oct 3, 2005.

1. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    So, I have the highest grade in my AP Music Theory class, a 98.8%... but I've ran into a problem that I just don't understand, hopefully someone here understands this.

- I have to notate at B# Augmented Triad.
    - Now, to keep the correct "form" of a triad, the notes must be some form of a B, D, and F.
    - The root is obviously B#
    - The third is D# because in the "key" of "B#" D will be sharp.
    - The fifth is a tricky one. On a B# Major chord, the 5th will normaly be a F double sharp, but to augment it, you'd have to raise it up a half step making it an F triple sharp.

Now, I've looked in Oxford Dictionary of Music, and it dosn't mention anything about the existance of such thing as a triple sharp. Knowing that a sharp looks like this "#" and a double sharp looks like this "X" would it be right to assume a tripple sharp looks like this "#X"...

If anyone could help, that would be just awsome!

Thanks,
    David

2. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Ouch! I have a headache now! :bash:

I am sure someone around here will be able to help with your question any second now......but it won't be me. LOL.

Good luck!

3. Larry

Larry New Friend

Sep 21, 2005
    Tennessee
    Well, wouldn't D also be double sharp? And yeah, since we're into theoretical chords structures, I guess the F#X would be the way to go.

Larry

4. trumpet blower88

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Nope, the D would be just one sharp, the only thing that changes from a Major triad to an Augmented triad is the 5th raises a half step, the the third stays the same as when its in Major mode. But thanks for the help, since at least one person agrees with me, I'm going to go ahead and put down F#X and see what happens tomarow. But question is still open for discussion if anyone one would like to chip in.

I'll keep you posted on what my teacher has to say tommarow.

5. Larry

Larry New Friend

Sep 21, 2005
    Tennessee
    But isn't B+ spelled B, D#, FX? Therefore, B#+ = B#, DX, F#X? Am I overlooking something?

Larry

6. trumpet blower88

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Oh crap... Yes... You are right.

Thanks, haha.

7. sinfoniantrumpeter

sinfoniantrumpeter Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2005
    B#-DX (double sharp)-F triple sharp

8. Norm

Norm New Friend

Sep 22, 2005
    Oregon USA
    88 wrote:

<I have to notate at B# Augmented Triad.
    - Now, to keep the correct "form" of a triad, the notes must be some form of a B, D, and F.
    - The root is obviously B#
    - The third is D# because in the "key" of "B#" D will be sharp.
    - The fifth is a tricky one. On a B# Major chord, the 5th will normaly be a F double sharp, but to augment it, you'd have to raise it up a half step making it an F triple sharp.>

But why do you have to put it in the "key" of B#? Or in any key?

Couldn't you just use the notes B# - Dx - Fx (the x's being double sharps).

Norm

9. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Norm- It MUST be a triple sharp on the F; this is the enharmonic equivilant to a C augmented chord, which would be spelled C, E, G#; therefore B#, DX, FX#.

88-I just tried a triple sharp in Finale. It notated it as: #X. Never seen one before; never hope to, but now I'll know what it is if I see it!

10. trumpet blower88

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Thanks, I never even thought about trying it in finale and seeing what happens. But it looks like it does work.

Thanks