B-flat trumpet for lead playing

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by Jimi Michiel, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    So I've been studying classical trumpet for the last 5 years, but now I want to get back into lead playing. Does anyone have any recommendations for a lightweight, high quality, affordable instrument? I'm thinking used Bach 37, but I really feel ignorant when it comes to lead equipment. Thanks in advance.
    -Jimi

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I just got my hands on a used Schilke B6 - the trumpet that the Yamaha 6310Z "Z Horn" was designed from, although it can't be called inexpensive by any stretch.

However, although I have only owned it for 4 days, I believe that it is going to be worth every penny.

3. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    what does inexpensive mean to you?....

4. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    The most inexpensive...use your Bach 37. It's perfectly acceptable for a lead trumpet and lot's of good players use it.

If you want to change and try a light weight. Kanstul Chicago 1001 or 1070, good condition LA Benge 2X, 3X, (+) or CG, Kanstul made Besson Meha, Bach 72*. Watch the bigger bore ones...like the 1070 and the Meha. Might seem great at first but take some blowing at the end of the 4th set.

Just a few quick thoughts.

Regards,

Trevor

5. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Wow, thanks for responding so quickly. I really can't go more than 1200 for a new B-flat, which is why I'm thinking that I should go the "used" route. I never really liked the way new trumpets felt anyway...
    I think I want to go with a smaller horn (bell and bore). At one point I owned both a Bach 37 and a Bach 72. I sold the 72 because it played too much like a C trumpet and the 37 was just stolen while on loan to a friend. My friend had been borrowing it for almost two years, but I remember it being ok for lead playing. I'm waiting for the insurance money (prob about 1200) to buy a new horn.
    Thanks guys,
    Jimi

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I paid just over $1200 for the Schilke.

7. Bourbon City

Bourbon City Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Check out www.dillonmusic.com they have a large selection of used trumpets as well as new ones.

8. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Jimi,

In all seriousness - pick up a 1950's Olds Ambassador with good valves and have it tweaked for your preferences. You will spend less money and have a horn that will put a new Strad (Xeno, etc) to shame.

Take a look at what a fellow over on TH had done with his Olds:
    http://www.picturetrail.com/gid2129611&?

Greg

9. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    I'd second the Bach 37 notion. I have been using a Bach 37 Heavybell for years and I've never found anything I was more comfortable with for lead playing. Find yourself a good one. I paid 300 bucks for mine.
    -J

10. joey

joey Pianissimo User

Nov 19, 2003
    Bloomington
    lead trumpet

What Bb are you playing now? Remember, there's no such thing as a 'lead trumpet'.

A good trumpet will serve you well in a variety of styles.

Joey