B-flat vs C trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by nickenator, Sep 27, 2010.

1. nickenator

nickenator Pianissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    I am a comeback player and picked up the horn 2 years ago. I play in my community orchestra and recently have begun playing my C-trumpet more frequently. I find that from E to F I have trouble, even though I can play much higher on my B-flat. I use the same (5C) mouthpiece and try to use the same technique. Any thoughts, or is it more practice?

2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

E is almost always a problem note on C trumpets (well, trumpets)
    Are you playing it open or 1&2? The E being flat and the F being sharp can throw you off.

3. ourcelay

ourcelay New Friend

Sep 27, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    In conection with the higher notes. It could be because you were not using your C trumpet, probabli if you use it frecuently you start to open the trumpet and could get as high as in Bb.

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Can you e more specific? What trouble? Otherwise we're guessing.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    C trumpets are different animals than Bbs. It is very possible that you will need time to get used to the instrument. The c in the staff is often too sharp, 4rth line D, 4rth space Eb and E are often VERY flat. The G on top of the staff can also be sharp. That makes them tougher to play until you have enough acclimatization time.

6. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Is this remark also valid for C cornets ? I own a vintage C/Bb Selmer I only use as C horn, and do not hear those issues ; but maybe it's me ! Many thanks in advance for your answer, Rowuk.

7. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    When I took up trumpet 25 years ago I bought a New old stock C trumpet so I did not have to transpose every week, I could not transpose on the fly then,
    no one told me the difficulties of the C (there was no internet then) I just thought it was a trumpet in another key and played it as such. I had no complaints, only compliments.

Perhaps because it was a Selmer Radial 99 it made a difference, I always felt the C sat better with the pipe organ than the Bb.

Regards, Stuart.

8. Bucaneer61

Bucaneer61 Pianissimo User

Oct 17, 2007
    Buckhannon, WV
    Stumac,

I too have a radial 99 C. It's the best C I've ever [played. Wonderful intonation and very nice sound. Only have to use 1-2 for the 4th space E, but I think that's me more than the horn, as I don't play C all the time.

Michael

9. dabhand

dabhand New Friend

Apr 7, 2008
    Ramsgate Kent England
    Dear Nickeanator
    As Rowuk points out, it is a matter of acclimatisation when used to a particular keyed trumpet eg Bb, having to get accustomed to playing another keyed trumpet .
    It takes time and practice to get to the same level as the usual Bb
    I personally have not made it yet to be equally adept with all Trumpets !
    Kind regards
    Dabhand