B & S Challenger Professional Trumpets

Discussion in 'Horns' started by buccinator, Jan 8, 2006.

1. buccinator

buccinator Pianissimo User

Jan 8, 2006
    Bielefeld, Germany
    Hi friends...

I am a new friend on this forum. I come from Germany and play a B & S Challenger II ( Pro-Line ). It's a fine horn, very close to a Vincent Bach Strad.

Ever heard about this trumpet...????

many greetings from buccinator

2. laurie

laurie Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    Australia
    Gday from Australia!
    Yep, Have heard of B&S. They are a very nice trumpet. I have the 3137/2/s/TC Model. Most of the young players here go for Bach or Yamaha. Mostly because thats what their teachers tell them to buy. And the local shops dont know anything else. Not that there is anything wrong with Bach or Yamaha!
    Cheers
    Laurie.

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Herzlichen Wilkommen!! Viel Verknugen!

-cw-

4. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    The B&S line is made by the JA Musik Group in Germany. In the US at least, it is one of the best kept secrets. Outstanding horns for the price. The Challenger II is as good or better than any Bach Strad, or any trumpet selling for less than $2000.

Jim

5. trumpetpat

trumpetpat Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2005
    Maine
    i play a B&S Challenger II series Bb and C. they are ecellent horns. the Bb easily can hold up to any bach. it has a one piece bell which gives it the edge (not sound wise) over bachs. the C has all the intonation problems a bach has but the Bb is definately worth trying.

6. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    I think the sound of the C II is somewhere between the Strad and Xeno.

The valves tend to require some extra attention paid to their breaking-in period, but a well-cared for B&S has some good mechanical action.

Engraving can be spotty sometimes, if you're paying for that extra touch, make sure it's there! :D

Definitely a horn worth the look at.

Van

7. hornman

hornman New Friend

Jan 5, 2006
    Brisbane AUSTRALIA
    [quote="MUSICandCHARACTER The Challenger II is as good or better than any Bach Strad, or any trumpet selling for less than $2000.

Jim[/quote]

Hi Jim.... I'm curious now as I had thought that the B&S, while good horns were just Bach copies. Less than $2K will buy a Lawler or a Kanstul Signature so would you really rate the B&S as equal to these? (This is a serious question as I will be looking at a new trumpet this year and have just ordered a Getzen 3850 custom cornet).

cheers
    ROD

8. acebone

acebone New Friend

Dec 26, 2006
    Copenhagen, Denamark
    I play a Bach Strad 37ML - I tried a Challenger Bb (which one exactly I do not know) - All I know now is that I'd REALLY REALLY like to replace the Strad with a Challenger :)

More open in sound - more 'blowthrough' - Better sound, more volume above G on staff

9. acebone

acebone New Friend

Dec 26, 2006
    Copenhagen, Denamark
    Well - yesterday evening I got a chance to try the B&S CHALLENGER NO.3137/2

It was during the break in an orchestra rehearsal - and I had blown my chops in practice just before that. Also I only tried it very briefly, so this is an initial impression - not a lasting review.

It slots ALOT better than my Strad 180S/37ML from 1981/82- also it tunes alot better on A above the staff. In general it seemed more easy to play. The only downside was that my sound on the challenger was not quite as full. That however can be because of me being more used to the Strad.

Def. a great trumpet - and a very viable alternative to my old Strad ( possibly even more viable when compared to a modern day Strad - who knows )

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Better than ANY Bach is a pretty bold statement. I have played quite a few B&S instruments (and a few Bachs in the last 40 years) and would never make a claim like that. They are mass produced professional instruments just like Bach, Getzen, Yamaha and many others. They hold their own in this company. You need to play it to judge, preferably in the type of environment that you will be performing in.