B&S Challenger trumpets

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Tim80, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Tim80

Tim80 New Friend

Nov 24, 2003
    Plant City, Florida
    Anybody play one of these? Are they as good as the hype?

Tim

2. bugler16

bugler16 Pianissimo User

Dec 14, 2003
    I have a B&S picc that I like very much. A big bore horn for a picc you have to find a mouthpiece that will balance and use copius amounts of air. But the sound is amazing, so warm especially for a picc and it can project over anything.

3. romey1

romey1 Banned

Oct 25, 2003
    out

4. gus

gus Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Yeah,

I have tried a bunch of them. The Challenger I is cool enough
    and costs $ 600-$ 700. Even Uwe Koeller plays one in the
    German Brass.

The picc is huuuge¡¡¡¡¡. But is is tune.

Rgds.

Gus

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Although I have not played one, the gent who runs the store where I got my B1 also is an agent for B & S here in Alberta. He sells mostly high end stuff (if you know the names "Hoyer", "Mollenhauer", "Powel", or "Gemeinhardt" you know what I mean.) He told me that the Challenger II was a really good horn for the price if you want a "Bach clone", but he was really high in praise on the Elaboration models. He also stated that the higher keyed trumpets from B & S were really superb for their price and that a number of music students and players in Edmonton (University of Alberta Music) were getting them as an "equal alternative" to higher priced units like Schilke etc.

6. Sol

Sol Pianissimo User

Jan 25, 2004
    Challenger 1 and 2, the differences.

Romey,

Would you say that there are differences between the Challenger 1 and 2? I'm talking about the standard configuaration in both models (Bach ML 37 copy).

7. mark125

mark125 New Friend

Nov 23, 2003
    Staying on the B&S subject, I have been told that the Allora trumpets sold by wwbw.com are made by B&S and are the same as the B&S challenger 2.
    Does anyone know if this is true or not? The pictures look identical in the wwbw.com catalog and website. The Allora has been reduced to 899 dollars in the catalog. The B&S challenger 2 is around 1050 dollars.
    Does the B&S challenger 2 look and sound similar to the Bach 180-37S?
    If so, I may buy the allora for 900 instead of the bach for 1500 dollars.
    Thanks
    Mark

8. Tim80

Tim80 New Friend

Nov 24, 2003
    Plant City, Florida
    Well,
    I bit on a Gerhard Baier 3137 trumpet. It is my understanding that it is the same trumpet as a B&S Challenger I. I'll give ya'll my opinion of it when it arrives. Here are a couple of links to the websites and the horn I won. Click on the history page of the Challenger site. It is very similar to the Gerhard Baier site. You have to click on the history page. The link no matter how I post it keeps going back to the sites homepage. If the trumpets plays well it may be a good trumpet for students who can't afford a Yamaha or a Bach. I'm kinda hoping it will be the replacement for my leaky old Benge.

http://www.gerhardbaier.com/about.html

http://www.challenger-trumpets.com/index2.htm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2374730613

Tim
    [​IMG]

9. Tim80

Tim80 New Friend

Nov 24, 2003
    Plant City, Florida
    Gerhard Baier Trumpet

I recieved a my Gerhard Baier 3137 trumpet today. I've been told it is the same trumpet as a Challenger I. Just different print on the bell. The trumpet was very pretty. My wife looked at it and couldn't believe I paid $341 for it including shipping. I showed her the invoice so she wouldn't think I was blowing smoke. It played with a nice Bach type tone. It had an open blow to it as well. Definately a lot of bang for the buck. Anybody looking for a new horn should check out B&S trumpets.

10. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Man you stole that one!