B1L / B5L Question For theoldmaz

Discussion in 'Horns' started by BrassClass, Jun 10, 2004.

1. BrassClass

BrassClass New Friend

Apr 2, 2004
    Is the B1L and the B5L 100% identical except for the bells? I am thinking about ordering the B5L ML copper bell for my B1L if it would be a 100% B5L but not sure I want to experiment with any type of cross between the two models. All comments appreciated!

2. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    I had a discussion about this with 2 people at Schilke as I had heard differently elsewhere. The answer was yes, the bodys are identical, only the bells (material and flairs) are different on these two models.

Have you heard differently?

Now if we could get some opinions from people out there that have swithced to different size bells or materials we may get some interesting info and opinions.

-marc

3. BrassClass

BrassClass New Friend

Apr 2, 2004
    I was told by a reliable source that they were identical but I thought I remember reading somewhere (The Schilke Loyalist, TH, somewhere???) that each B series model has it's own little differences and tweaks. I'm sure theoldmaz will set things straight for us. I look forward to reading other comments on this.

4. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    From the Schilke Loyalist:

"The B1, B2, and B5 are identical horns, differing only in bell."

"The B1 is more open and freer playing with a more transparent brilliant sound, the B2 nearly as free blowing but with a more compact focused sound from the relatively small bell; and the B5 has more resistance and a more compact centered sound than either the B1 or B2. In fact, I've been told from more than one source that the B5 was designed to have a blow similar to a Bach 37. Although completely unadvertised, the B5, as well as the B6 and some cornet models, come with a standard weight pure copper bell. This contributes to the significant difference between the B1 and B5. I think that generally if one tries a B1 and a B5, he or she is likely to have a fairly strong preference for one or the other, they are that different."

B1 and B5 are identical except for the bell. The B1 has a large yellow brass bell and the B5 has a medium large copper bell.

5. chetbaker

chetbaker Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2003
    GEORGIA
    I was always told that the B1 has a graduated-taper bore throughout the horn (.460-.468) and oversized valve ports...where as the B5 is a .460 straight -through bore with no taper. Actually I think Scott Laskey was the one who told me this.

Butch

6. Handballsteve

Handballsteve New Friend

Dec 27, 2003
    I agree with Chetbaker on this one.
    I have always heard the B1 is a step bore design and the B5 is not. FWIW
    :)

7. theoldmaz

theoldmaz New Friend

Jan 30, 2004
    Oak Park, Illinois
    B1L-B5L Difference

And the answer is...only the bells are different! I swear on my mother's grave that this is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

8. BrassClass

BrassClass New Friend

Apr 2, 2004
    Thanks theoldmaz. You can't argue with "the mother's grave" comment. Appreciate your comment.