Baa

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mchs3d, Dec 16, 2014.

1. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    I have a performance of taps tomorrow, and I was just wondering how many people on here are members of BAA? This is only the second call I've ever gotten, but I would do more if there were more opportunities around where I live. Does anyone have any great stories with this? I think it's a great organization and it's quite a shame that veterans would have to be laid to rest with a recording instead of a live bugler.

Edit: By the way, the title should be all caps, if anyone with "higher powers" can change that.

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I am an Australian rep for BAA... there's a couple of us down-under.

3. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I'm not into Baa but I do do Humbug quite well.

4. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    ... or goats instead of sheep? :D

5. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Buglers Across America

6. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I've been a member for a couple of years and so far I've played on 2 occasions. The way that organizers handle the services often create confusion. On the 2 occasions I played, services were happening at the military cemetery in the Portland area, where there is a bugler pretty much "on staff." Organizers seem to not be aware of that. On these 2 occasions, we ended up playing echo taps, since there were 2 of us. I volunteered for several others that were already filled by the time I got the e-mail. On a couple of occasions, I filled the request but then the organizers turned around and cancelled it. There were many I couldn't volunteer for because of time constraints, travel distance involved, conflict with work or other commitments, etc. Overall, it's worth doing.

7. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Mezzo Forte User

Nov 26, 2013
    Portlandia
    When my life circumstances permit, it is my intention to make myself available through BAA.

A great regret I have is that (well, Top 20), unrealized until I hear the tape recorder playing taps, is that it didn't occur to me to be the one playing taps at my mother's husband's* funeral, until I hear the crappy tape recording. Several years before my comeback after 3 decades.

Oh, and he was a fanatical Stan Kenton fan, something we had in common.

* You can't call a man "stepfather" when you meet him in your late teens. Just doesn't work.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I have only played one event. It appears we have one or a few players who grab the local services within minutes of the posting. The one I played for was an hour away. I notice that this location's request seem to be open on a regular basis. My guess is that some locations actually pay the buglars and some do not. This location does not. Personally I feel it is an honor and would play more often if the times and locations fit into my screwy schedule.

9. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    It is nice to get paid, and I got $50 today. However, I don't do it for the money (unlike most of my trumpeting, which I do purely for the monstrous loads of cash hiding in orchestral vaults.) I have noticed that most services get grabbed quickly, so you basically have to decide in the very moment if you will do it or not.

That being said, taps is really easy to do, but hard to do right. It requires the utmost respect, unlike pieces like Petrou$$ka, Picture$ at an E$hibition or Mahler Symphony No. $$.

10. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I'm a member of BAA, and I sound Taps whenever the location and my schedule coincide, which is sporadic. Most requests are for a National Cemetery, and the distance is such that although I have played there, I prefer to let other members who live closer accept the job, or "mission", as BAA calls it. My experiences have ranged from poignant to peculiar. I'm also on call at a local funeral home, and I get requests from them, too.