Baa

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mchs3d, Dec 16, 2014.

1. DCIGene

DCIGene New Friend

Jan 3, 2010
    Alabama
    This is a great thread. I was unaware of it until today. I am the Alabama Director for Bugles Across America and have been for some time now. I would be happy to answer any questions anyone has on the subject or I would turn you to their website at Bugles Across America > Home where you can sign up to be a bugler and part of your state group.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    While BAA has great intentions, the reality is that it is not near instantly responsive. When the family, funeral director, or clergy makes that call an immediate commitment is essential. I'm not BAA, and perceive no need to belong. I advertise that I'm the only one within 25 mile radius of my home that can and will sound live TAPS. Certainly, I wish I could be proven wrong. By my own random statistics, I'm now called just once out of 22 military/first responder funerals, as means 21 are without or utilize the recorded ceremonial bugles available from DOD. Many veterans organizations, funeral homes, county veterans affairs offices and some churches now have the ceremonial bugles.

Bugling was the first Boy Scout merit badge I attained. Even then I was excused from school to sound live TAPS when requested as was mostly then for first responders whereas the military then DID provide buglers to sound live TAPS, colors and rifles. Lately, I've also been the tri cornered folder of the flag pall and then stepped away to sound Taps while walking to my car. While I've only heard feedback from one other, I personally feel this natural diminishment of the TAPS sounding is effective. However, I do not expect to be able to sound live TAPS much longer. In a few months I'll be 79 yo and my health is deteriorating rapidly.

3. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    I've been called a couple times. Although all calls can't be met at least we do what we can.

4. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I spoke with a friend of mine who is a LEO about sounding Taps for their funerals, and he said that they have been approached before, and that the Powers That Be prefer the reliability of sound and time length of what I refer to as their "Bugle in a Box". They carry a spare battery for it in case they need it. Sad. Disheartening.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The rebuff by the "Powers that Be", who likely have no ear for sound nor realize there is very little difference between one players presentation of 24 notes than that of another. The truth is that they were gullible enough to purchase the ceremonial bugle and now must use it or show cause why they don't to the Powers above them ... especially the auditors of their finances.

The recording was made by Sgt. Major English (RET) former bugler at Arlington National Cemetery. I certainly wouldn't say anyone could sound Taps better than he could. The problem is that like other recordings, even though such is on a chip, the more such is used the more the sound deteriorates. Then too, it is projected from an 8 ohm speaker as like all speakers they need serviced from time to time as they collect minute debris. I seriously doubt if one of these now distributed has ever received such service of the speaker or is any concern given to its maintenance. Shucks, I vacuum the dust that collects in my ear-phones and it makes a big difference.

6. DCIGene

DCIGene New Friend

Jan 3, 2010
    Alabama
    you are sadly correct and this speaks directly for what we do. Maybe not as an organization, but the mission of the dignity of live Taps at the graveside of our fallen.

I'd welcome a discussion if you'd like. You may contact me at 205-370-8453.

7. DCIGene

DCIGene New Friend

Jan 3, 2010
    Alabama
    They are not "gullible". They are uninformed or they are too proud to ask for outside help. What I find to be the case is that funeral directors don't reach out because they fear a cost to pass on the family. That's why with BAA, we do not charge for what we do. We volunteers our talents to provide the family and fallen the honor they deserve. If powers are not calling it's because they have LAZY disease.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Jackson is the county seat of Northampton County NC located E of I-95 and bordering VA. So, at the Memorial Day ceremony at the Veteran's Memorial in front of the Courthouse what do I hear, you guessed it, a ceremonial bugle. I often have lunch and meet the county Veteran's Affairs officer ( a Navy Veteran) that provides it. What this is doing is indoctrinating the citizens to expect such at veteran's / first responder's funerals aka "brain washing" or subtle behavior modification. Yes, within the "25 mile radius" are three high school bands and if any trumpeter in them isn't capable of sounding the easy 24 notes of Taps, they really shouldn't be in these bands. However, I do realize these high school students are unable to leave school to attend a funeral unless it were their own immediate family and few have their own transportation or a parent/guardian who would drive them. I've tutored several middle school students who when they begin Book 2 of "Essential Elements", I provide copy of the Taps music and they soon sound it as well as I do. What? You won't find such music in any of the 4 "Essential Elements" books that are used in the school systems here.

I've been "pounding my head against a brick wall" to rectify this, even spoken to Mayors, County Managers, Police and Fire Chiefs, NC State Representatives and Senators, and NC U.S. Representatives and Senators. I just haven't the strength to move a mountain of obstinence. Yes, I'm situate within 50 miles of a college with a decent musical program (Chowan), and another at 87 miles (East Carolina) but within 100 miles is the Army and the Navy/Marine Music Schools in Virginia Beach VA. Too, I'm cognizant that a B-1 Bomber hasn't gone airborne from Ellsworth USAF Base SD on a training mission expending enough fuel at a cost to equate with the cost of deploying buglers, color guards, and riflemen to 500 veterans funerals anywhere in the U.S., Districts, or Territories. Such was promised and I deem it a Breach of Promise/Contract. Oh does such raise the shackles of my ire (and my blood pressure). Yes, I'm a USAF Veteran!

J. Jericho likes this.
  9. DCIGene

DCIGene New Friend

Jan 3, 2010
    Alabama
    Ed,

It is obvious the passion you have and for your service...I thank you.
    If you will do me the honor of helping, I will try. What I will need is your zip code and 3 nearest funeral homes to do so with numbers. Please advise when you can.

10. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I am a member of BAA - in Victoria Australia. I joined up after MH370 went down off the West Australian coast, It occurred to me that there should be some representation in areas of Australia for our Allies.

Hopefully will never be called, but will always be available if requested.