Bach 182

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Rich Wetzel, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Rich Wetzel

Rich Wetzel Pianissimo User

Dec 27, 2003
    Tacoma, WA
    Hi Bob!

You know how the rumor mill is, lol... Truthfully only great things as far as I can see. Ted Waggoner has the factory building better Bach's than ever, really has everyone on a "True Bach" kick, the horns frankly are better now than ever.

The production rate and quality is just amazing, if you ever get a chance go take a tour, really great to see all the cool stuff they are doing.

I have heard they are planning some very cool regional shows soon, I will keep you posted soon as I hear anything.

2. brassmojo

brassmojo Pianissimo User

Nov 22, 2007
    Rumor mill? Bach parts made in China then assembled in US? eee god!

I own an old Bach 72. I just read about the new, improved 182's? What have they been selling us the past four plus decades?
    With all due respect I believe the upper Steinway Management Marketing
    guru's are trying to seperate pre-strike and post-strike models.
    But in fairness I need to play the "New 182" to compare.
    Sorry, but I'm skeptical of large Corporate Management.

JM

3. Rich Wetzel

Dec 27, 2003
    Tacoma, WA
    Rumor mill is just that... to set the record straight, there are a couple lower end student Bachs made overseas, specs given by Bach product managers.

All the US stuff, including the strads are 100% entirely made in the US down to the smallest part and last valve cap, That is a fact.

A lot of rumors and misinformation has floated around. The truth is other than the Aristocrat lower end student models, all other Bachs, including the strads are 100% made in the US.

If you call in advance they are happy to do a tour. As a matter of fact I can help set that up for you to see it with your own eyes.

Ted Waggoner has everyone on such a "True Bach" quality thing, frankly the Bach's are better than ever, truly outstanding.

There are a lot of talented and passionate people working very hard and Bach is going to be setting up some regional shows soon, will keep you posted.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  4. brassmojo

brassmojo Pianissimo User

Nov 22, 2007
    Well the "facts" are the Apple Computer I'm using to respond to this thread was made in Cupertino, CA, at one time; now all Apple Computers are made in Asia. I'm sure Jobs and Woz were also passionate about their products being made in the USA---at one time.
    I'm believe you when you write the employees at Bach are extremely passionate and serious about their jobs, Bach has always turned out a great product. I don't believe large company management bean counters share the same passion.

JM

5. Rich Wetzel

Dec 27, 2003
    Tacoma, WA
    I appreciate how you feel on those kinds of issues. I just don't see anything like that happening anytime soon. They have been making a lot of improvements and investing some pretty serious money in the plant and some upcoming regional shows to help get everyone up to speed on the great things happening there.

I for one am very encouraged at all the stuff Ted Waggoner and his team are doing. It is great to see Bach bouncing back and making such fantastic horns.

If you ever find yourself able to get to Elkhart, near University of Notre Dame, and a short hop from Chicago, call ahead and tour the plant. It is just amazing what they are doing.

6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Hi Rich,

I like to know who I'm talking to so if possible I go to the links and read or listen before posting.

According to your my-space and web site you certainly have the credentials to talk about how a trumpet plays. I enjoyed the music on your my space!!

Here is the but. There is always a but.

Here is what I copied from your site.

"Rich is also the northwest district manager for the world's finest musical instrument manufacturer, Conn-Selmer Inc."

Unfortunately this makes what what you say a sales pitch. You have to let us know that you're not just another trumpet player but, a paid employee. Specifically paid to sell.

On another note:
    I went to a show a long time ago. At the time I was playing Bach. I tried a Bach trumpet at the show and it was just about the best trumpet I ever played. The people at the show told me that they just grabbed one off the line. I don't believe it. I think it was custom made for the show. That being said, was the trumpet you tried custom (with stock parts) or just pulled from the line? You don't need to answer that question and probably shouldn't.

Now that I'm done being a jerk, what trumpet are you using on the myspace? Are you playing lead?

Schwab likes this.
  7. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    doh!

8. Rich Wetzel

Dec 27, 2003
    Tacoma, WA
    I am playing a stock 182 straight off the line.

At the time I recorded my last CD I was playing another trumpet. I know everyone takes these kinds of things with a grain of salt, as you should. All I can tell you is just try the horn. I quite frankly would be a believer regardless as I truly enjoy this model more than I can possibly tell you.

Regardless of all that, in the end we all have to decide for ourselves. I for one, really like this trumpet.

One other note, I can tell you they truly do not have the time or a practice to hand pick any special made just for the show models at these shows. They literally go to their distribution center and simply stack the pallet with whatever is ready to go. No special hand picking.

With the number of shows they do that would just be too hard to do.

On your last question, I am playing all the high trumpet feature stuff and in a couple spots helping on the lead, but most of the regular trumpet section lead was done by David Gonzales, a really cool guy and a wonderful trumpet player from the Navy band.

Sincerely,

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  9. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    What was the other trumpet. I like that sound

10. Rich Wetzel

Dec 27, 2003
    Tacoma, WA
    On that particular recording I was playing a Holton ST-307, had previously been an artist and clinician with them for about four or five years if I remember right. It also is a great horn. At the time I made the change I had no intention of doing so. I just fell in love with this one when I tried it. Again, these thoughts are just my own personal experience, in the end we all try and pick what we like. There's more than one great trumpet in the world obviously, and frankly both of these are great horns.