Bach 1963 Mount Vernon - Help

Discussion in 'Horns' started by neilb, Mar 5, 2004.

1. neilb

neilb New Friend

Feb 25, 2004
    Burgess Hill, England, UK
    Hi,

I have just paid $2000 for a MINT 1963 Mount Vernon ML Bore Trumpet on Ebay (23xxx) :eek:

Have I done the correct thing :?

I have always heard that the Mount Vernon Instruments
    are the best, now cannot wait to find out. :lol:

I was looking at Taylor and Eclipse, possibly Monette

Now I will soon be playing a Mt Vernon 1963

It has just been reconditioned by the top UK trumpet person, he did the same with my 1969 Getzen Eterna cornet

What do you all think out there, did I make the right choice

I hope I am looking forward to many good years ahead with a fantastic trumpet. :D

many regards

Neil

2. Jazzman

Jazzman Pianissimo User

Dec 16, 2003
    A 1963 Mt.Vernon?? rebuilt by Leigh at Eclipse trumpets?? You need not worry about anything!! 8)

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Neil, I sure as heck hope you made the right choice. My 1972 Getzen Eterna cornet just arrived today at his doorstep for reconditioning & etc. Leigh is a fine gentleman and an artiste extraordinaire when it comes to the brass thingies. That Mt. Vernon WILL be a great one if he's gone over it: you can bet that Noel Langley and/or Henry Lowther may have even checked it out. Ask Noel...he'll tell you.

4. psalt

psalt New Friend

Jan 15, 2004
    Australia
    1963 Mt.Vernon

I also have a 1963 ML Mt.Vernon serial no. 24xxx. I sent it to the Brass Bow in Chicago 12 months ago for a valve alignment and ultrasound clean. It has a fantastic timbre with a beautiful balance of overtones and no trace of metallic sound at all.
    Having played many new Bach trumpets, I do feel that a good Mt.Vernon is well worth the prices being asked ( around US $2000 - $$3000)
    Peter Salt

5. alanbach

alanbach Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2003
    South Wales U.K.
    Neil you made a wise choice...I was tempted to bid for it but decided otherwise. I'm sure Leigh has done a great job as he has done on my Conn Coprion and Olds Recording. Good luck :lol:

6. trptbenge

trptbenge Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2004
    Atlanta
    Peter,

You are fortunate to have a Mt. Vernon of that era I have played several early Mt. Vernons and did not like them. A good friend of mine bought a Mt. Vernon that is 1962 Vintage and it is the best Bach I have ever played if not the best horn I have ever played. It has a warm, beautiful sound and is very responsive.

His wife (also a trumpet player) tried it and now she won't let him have it back. Of course he has seven other horns to choose from but none as good as the Strad.

Mike

7. lonelyangel

lonelyangel Pianissimo User

Nov 8, 2003
    London
    I play tested the horn today and Leigh and Jon did a final valve alignment. It is a beauty - Neil has a horn that he can cherish for years to come. It has a very sweet, brilliant and clear tone with dark undertones - more personal and compact than many modern bachs I have played - I like it a lot.

Neil heard me play it to him down the phone and was pleased to hear that the horn had a good strong double C on it ;). Seriously though it was great to talk to you Neil and I wish you luck and fun on your journey from the world of cornets into the wider musical environment. This horn can take you anywhere and do anything you ask of it as long as you put the work in.

Have fun. Noel.

8. Jazzman

Jazzman Pianissimo User

Dec 16, 2003
    "Neil heard me play it to him down the phone and was pleased to hear that the horn had a good strong double C on it"
    What a cool thing for you to do for Neil.......
    Neil, you must have been thrilled to get that phone call!! :)