Bach 1C

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crash, Dec 21, 2006.

1. crash

crash New Friend

Dec 6, 2006
    Maryland
    Hello all,
    This my first post. I've already learned a lot from everyone just by reading and browsing. This site is certainly chocked full of good advice. With that in mind I thought I should get the gang's input on a purchase I just made.
    I wandered into a pawn shop at lunch today just browsing and they had quite a collection of used MPs. I began sorting through the pile, looking for a 3C I didn't find that but I found a 1C. It was $10 and in near mint condition so I didn't hesitate to buy it.
    Now I know that this MP is usually reserved for the well-developed embouchure and I am definitely in the 'developement' stages. So I was wondering if jumping to this size MP would be a good or bad thing.

Here's a little background...
    I started when I was 7 years old... (now 36) and continued to play consistantly until I was about 18. Then college hit and I put the trumpet in the closet for about 12 years. I pulled it back out and began to play again. Mostly just for the church orchestra. Playing the occasional solo. I currently am playing arrangements that are rated at a difficulty level of 3-4. That's probably an ambiguous rating system but it's all I have to go on. To be more specific they are arrangement by James Curnow for Phillip Smith... Great Hymns and Great Carols books. My practical range limit is High C, anything above that is non-musical at this point.
    I have always played a Benge 7C.. at least since I was about 12. I just purchased a older MF Horn ST302. which is a large bore .468. This is my first 'step up' horn from the student models and I really like it. I imagine that working my way into the 1C is possible, but is it something I should take in steps (7c -> 5c -> 3c ->1c) or could I dive in head first?

Thanks for you input!!

Craig
    Holton MF-Horn ST302

2. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Hey Craig,

Welcome aboard!

I think any change should be pursued with caution. I'm no expert but it seems to me that the change you are trying to make is not 'life altering" so I say give it a go!

Ultimately you'll use whatever you can produce the sound you are looking for and it seems as though your chops are in fair shape judgeing only of course by what you said in your post.

I say work some Clarkes technical studies on it, maybe some Arban's and see what you think; in the end that's all that really matters.

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    That's a BIG mouthpiece. It's generally more productive to experiment with more middle-of-the-road equipment like the 3C, but there's no harm in giving the 1C a try. Who knows, it may work for you - but I wouldn't knock myself out with it, either. Huge mouthpieces usually make you work too hard without providing enough of a corresponding benefit.

4. NJtrpt

NJtrpt New Friend

Nov 16, 2006
    Welcome. Im pretty new here myself, but the advice is great.

While each of us is different, my experience is such that a bach 3c (which I still play) is perfect for me and a 1c was just a big enough of a difference where it was counterproductive. Its a huge mouthpiece, for me at least.

Good luck.
    Paul

5. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
  6. JonathanShaw

JonathanShaw Pianissimo User

Jun 29, 2006
    I played on a Bach 1 1/2 C Megatone for 2 years and switched to a 1 C....It makes a huge difference considering that theres only a fraction of a centimeter difference in the size. It took about two to get used to. For the first 3 weeks its hell, for the next 3 weeks its ridiculously tyring, it goes up hill from there. I wouldn't advise a switch from a 7 C. Not knowing anything about your playing habits and embrochure this could be the completely wrong recomendation, but if it were me I'd work my way up to the 1 C...That being said, I'd pick up the mouthpiece as Bach is on a strike and they are increasingly hard to find new/used.

Jon

--
    "If you want to be a professional musician and nothing else, shoot yourself. You will be glad you did"
    -Da TasteeBros

7. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    For some silly reason when I was in college I insisted on playing a 1C. My bemused teacher put up with me for a while, then finally said, "What are you killing yourself for? That thing is like trying to play into a toilet seat." I switched to a smaller piece and things got much easier. Byron Stripling can play lead on a 1C because his chops are so gigantic it's like a 12C for a normal human.

Michael McLaughlin

8. John P

John P Piano User

Jun 16, 2006
    Camp Hill, PA
    I started in fifth grade on a 7C. Then went to 3C, 1.5C, Monette B2 (close to a 1.25C), then settled on a 1C. I had an adjustment period of about two weeks. Once I got acclimated to the 1C, I found that my endurance was actually BETTER. All the other sizes felt like a struggle. It felt like my lips were trying to conform to something that wasn't natural. The 1C, for me, just felt extremely normal and comfortable. And, of course, the sound is great. I'm just more suited to the bigger cup widths, I guess. You may be the same way, you may not. Give it a shot, have some fun.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2006
  9. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    My progression was from 7c to 2 1/2 c and then eventually a 1c. Later on I went on to half and quarter sizes but all around the 1 size. I played Bachs, Schilke's... eventually settled on Monette mouthpieces but all larger sizes. It's a progression but not necessarily as numerically progressive as you may think. I find there not to be as big a difference between the 7 and the 3 but the 2 1/2 is significant but not terrible.

ML

10. Shermock

Shermock New Friend

Dec 12, 2006
    Maple Grove, MN
    Hey, I have an idea...and yes, it hurt.:D

Your ears are great teachers. If you hear yourself play a gorgeous tone on one piece of equipment, chances are you'll play the same or very similar sound on another so....

Why not use the 1C for a "tonal goal" that you want to sound like on the 7C? Play non-rangy things that work on the 1C just listening to the big tone, and then work to get as much of that sound out of the 7C as you can.

I had a Bach 1 (no letter) for a while (toilet bowl!) and I used it only as a reference to go after a better tone on my 1 1/2 C. I couldn't play very high or for very long on the 1, but I feel it helped tremendously with keeping a good tone throughout many exercises and etudes on the 1 1/2 C, because I had an improved concept of tone in my head as a result.

I tried to play a 1C for about 2 years...at the end of that stint, I could barely play a high C and had a very diffuse, fuzzy tone. Changing to a 1 1/2 C was like the heavens parting!!:lol:

Just my $.02...

Keep honkin'

Shermock