Bach 1C

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crash, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    I started on a Bach 7C until Bernard Adelstein told me to switch to a 1.5C. Bernard told me recently that he still plays his Bach C trumpet with his 1C mpc. A bigger mpc for smaller trumpets make the horn sound better, IMO.

One point of interest is that Bernard's lips are not big but rather thin; so, the idea of bigger mpcs for bigger lips does not always fit the scheme of things.

If you want to make the 1C feel more comfortable, put a DW4FL into your horn for awhile……..ouch!! :-o

Liad​

2. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    I played on a 1c for 20 years. I switched over from a 3c that I had drilled out. The acclimation time for me was not much of a problem. But, as you're reading, every player is different. You really have nothing to lose by trying it, and just may find you like it better. Or not; at any rate, you'll learn something. Give it a few weeks and let us know how it goes.

3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.

I say go with the biggest size that fits and works comfortably.

You can't make music if you are worried about missing notes.

Too big is NG and too small is NG.

Try it. If it works, keep it.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have a 7c benge laying around and find it to be an excellent all round mouthpiece. As everyone has said, the 1C is a monster.
    I think your decision should be made based on how great the probability is that you will be able to practice enough to make it worthwhile. If you don't have a lot of time to invest - put it in a place where you will see it often. Maybe the sight of it will change your priorities after a while!
    If you don't practice enough, range, endurance and tone will suffer more than on your excellent 7C.

5. crash

crash New Friend

Dec 6, 2006
    Maryland
    Thanks everyone for the great advice,
    I was able to practice with it last night and went through my normal routine. Played a few excercises from Arban's and then went through some of the pieces I am working on and finished with some Arban's double-tounging. about 2 hours with a few minutes break.
    Although I didn't fall in!! My range did suffer. I did a little switching back and forth to try to compare and I noticed that the 1C was hard to pull out of the trumpet. I found this odd because I never twist the MP in I just place it in there. At the end of the session I could tell the back of my top lip had the imprints of my teeth. and my bottom lip had a large bump!
    Well putting all that together I figured that without realizing it I was using pressure to compesate for the limited range. I am sure this is not a good thing so I think I'll lay off the 1C for a while. Continue to build with the 7C and perhaps try again later.

Craig

6. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico

Bobby Shew says play the smallest one you can get away with. Different ideas for different people.

Michael McLaughlin

7. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    So does Jens Lindeman I believe. He words it differently though.

8. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    wait...

Isn't playing the biggest mouthpiece that sounds best and the smallest mouthpiece that sounds best saying the same thing?

I wouldn't play a larger mouthpiece than I play currently because i'd fall in and lose range. I wouldn't play a smaller mouthpiece than I currently play because I wouldn't be as happy with the sound.

So...

...isn't it the same thing?

Or it like choosing the least of several evils? "This big mouthpiece puts me just on the edge of endurance and high register" or This smaller mouthpiece doesn't constrict me as much as the next smaller size."

My job demands that I have a clean high E on the C trumpet yet I have to have a clean and full low F# as well. The sound has to be as rich as it can be and bright when I need it to be. I have to be able to go from ppp to fff in all registers and be in tune in those dynamics. Those are my parameters. That's what i have to demand from my mouthpiece.

So, why bother thinking in terms of the largest or smallest? Doesn't it just have to be "right" for the job you do?

ML

9. Siegtrmpt

Siegtrmpt Mezzo Piano User

Nov 21, 2005
    Virginia
    A lot of my perception of mouthpiece size depends on how it's placed on the upper lip. A 10 1/2 C can feel pretty big if it's placed high on the upper lip and a 1C can feel small if placed low on the upper lip. They can both feel pretty similar if the inner "ring" on the upper lip is placed the same way. Anyway, that's how it works for me. Your results may vary.

10. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I don't understand why he would say that. Can you explain the idea?