Bach 1C

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crash, Dec 21, 2006.

1. timothypierson

timothypierson Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2005
    I usually play everything on a Bach Mt. Vernon 7C. I tried one out for fun a year ago and it just worked for me. I play everything from Symphonic Band to Jazz Ensemble to Principal in an Orchestra. Somedays I play in all three of these groups. On Mondays I play in a performance class and play pic on a 7C with a cornet shank. I basically listen, think of the sound I want to produce, and I seem to blend well with these groups. I think playing what is most comfortable for you and having a concept in your head of what you want sound like works best IMHO.

2. trumpethack

trumpethack Pianissimo User

Jun 1, 2006
    Massachusetts
    Another thing about mouthpieces is that there are so many variables you can change. Without getting into the thousands of combinations you can try out, a few simple general things can make a difference.

For example, most people when they want a 'bigger' or smaller mouthpiece imediately change the the 'number' ie. bach, 5c, 3c, 1c.

You can however, change the sound alot by just changing the cup and leaving the rim the same. Keeping the rim the same allows the you to feel like the mouthpiece is almost the same while you can really change the sound depth and shape with the cup. Not to even mention throat and backbore.

If you play a montte mouthpiece, these factors are all specific to each mp and you don't change them. A B15 is a B15 across the board (at least with Dave's new computer lathe they are)

But most people who get a bach mouthpiece have alterations made to it. For example if you just buy a 1C, you aren't playing the same mouthpiece as Phil Smith... His has a bigger throat and a bigger backbore. All which make the sound "bigger"

If you are thinking about getting a bigger mouthpiece, and you just play a "stock" "out of the box" mp now. You might be able to change the sound closer to what you want without going to a bigger rim size, which will take the most adjustment from the player of all the things you can change. Changing cup size would mean buying a new mouthpiece, but changing throat or backbore just means getting to a brass shop with your current mouthpiece. (or order a new one and tell them to make the alterations before they send it).

Laskeys are a great alternative to Bach Mouthpieces, and have many more rim and cup combinations available than bach. Worth checking out.

Matt

3. Rimshot

Rimshot Pianissimo User

Feb 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Oh boy, maybe with Democrats coming back into power, they can be encouraged to regulate mouthpiece manufacture: three sizes, small, medium, and large--anything else and you go to the joint.

Maybe only then will players get their heads out of their shanks and back into the music and methodical practice where it belongs.

Merry Ethnically-Influenced Holiday Name of Your Choice.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
  5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I was looking at the chart and there isn't much difference between the B15 and the B15 S12.

I wonder if there is another difference besides what is on the chart.

6. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    I have gone all the way from a 1 1/4C to a 7C; however this describes a journey over an approximately 40 year period.

I won't bore you with a long story, but the embouchure technique used can affect the kind of mouthpiece requirements for a given player - it did for me. After a change of embouchure concept, I am able to play a wider range of mouthpieces and find that a more medium size works best. In the past, the 1 1/4C cup diameter actually "facilitated" lip collapse and "drowning" in the cup.

I think the ideal mouthpiece for me would be a 3C cup diameter on a 7C cup depth and 7C rim.

That is probably an expensive custom made item, so I compromise and use a 7C these days.

I am not a professional player, so I can get away with compromises.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2006
  7. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Right.

Regards,

Richard

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Totally uncalled for! Not funny and of no value to posters looking for answers. Do not forget that it isn't big business that gives us thousands of choices, but the small specialty shops like Laskey, GR, Monette, Warburton.............. - no congressional lobby for them.
    It is tough for someone that has not spent half of his life studying trumpet mouthpieces to know what a 1C or a 7C can do or not do for you - or if it is worth starting to practice on a monster mouthpiece.
    If you have nothing decent to offer, wait for another post that is more suitable for your frame of reference.

9. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I have played a 1C or variation thereof since age 16. The 1 rim feels like home to me and when it gets much smaller, I feel like I am stuffing my chops into the cup. Endurance is a factor, but I think the cup/throat/backbore combination is what matters in that territory. There are many variations one can make to any of those and it can make a tremendous difference. I find it interesting that most folks talk about rim size when down/up sizing and not the other variables. :think:

The only instrument I change rims (and all else) for is my piccolo mouthpiece, but it is no trouble at all since I am psychologically set for piccolo when playing. It is practically a different creature altogether anyway. I have also found with age and experience that it matters less and less when I am changing around or have to play what mouthpiece is available when trying a flugel or cornet. I can make a wider range of mouthpieces work if I need to and that has been liberating.

It all boils down to what feels good. For me, a 1 rim feels good - secure - like home. When you have that feeling, you have found the right rim. Also, when choosing a mouthpiece, consider whether you want a funnel or bowl-shaped cup.

10. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    That's more than 1 ball the air at time Alex :stars:

Happy 2007 to All,

Richard Oliver