Bach 1C

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crash, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    :D Richard. I was going to add to my above post that when considering JUST the rim, you need to consider whether you want it flat or rounded (or somewhere in between) and whether you want the drop into the cup to be sharp, beveled, rounded or slanted.........:stars:

In all sincerity I just had the experience where I had a beveled drop into the cup and it just was not locking in for me. I had the bevel made more into a sharp drop (another mouthpiece made identical to the first with a change in the "bite") and it has made all of the difference for me.

2. Rimshot

Rimshot Pianissimo User

Feb 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Well, aren't you one puffed up little piece of something! Sorry to crash YOUR web site.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2006
  3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    lighten up

4. k0elw

k0elw Guest

I have personally benefitted from Jens Lindemanns mouthpiece rant as delivered a 3 years ago at the Toronto Trumpet Symposium.
    After playing on Bach 1c for over 30 years; I started experimenting
    with as Jens puts it "compact" setups. If I learned to play high
    on a big mouthpiece so could I play low on a "compact" mouthpiece.
    Yup. Rule of thumb; if you are throwing airballs on high notes, consider something more compact.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Not puffed up, little or posessive. The republican/democrat "issues" got a section of this website removed not even 3 months ago. Both sides of the aisle showed their absolute worst sides. I am sorry to see that part of the forum go, but the owners had very valid reasons!

Direct political connections to trumpet playing could MAYBE be drawn to GOP support of big business - large manufacturers of musical instruments could benefit or the democrats still having links to the unions. The insinuation that any political party could or would limit mouthpiece size or anything else (even if not seriously intended) is trash in comparison to the valuable posts here. It also will lead to similar useless reactions from the respective other side.......
    "Merry Ethnically-Influenced Holiday Name of Your Choice" is also a combination that I heard on the Rush Limbaugh show the other day in his reference to his perceived "tyranny of the minorities". It doesn't belong here in my opinion.
    Merry Christmas, frohe Weihnachten, feliz Navidad or whatever are HOLY expressions of THE event that got Christianity going. That, in my humble opinion is something that deserves RESPECT. The weight of words is a lesson that never ends. Blowing off reactions to ones own utterances does not increase communication skills. Rimshot has done and can do much better.

There is no issue of freedom of speech here, I just do not believe in "politically correct" when it replaces common sense. Why shouldn't Rimshot get feedback that this type of commentary is offensive to some people (like me)? The reaction that I have to be puffed up and posessive to express criticism of his post in this context makes no sense. It shows an unwillingness to reflect on ones own actions - actually quite typical of trumpet players (including myself).
    Of course we can post "lighten up" - with the idea "he didn't mean it that way" or "you are taking this wrong". My point is another - many posts ARE typed trying to be funny - this one IMHO missed the mark on 2 counts - both documented above.

I have no desire to hijack this thread - If my response bothers you, ignore me, start another thread or PM me.

To bring this back - when I am practicing a difficult passage - I do not "lighten up". I analyze it and work "harder" to correct what is wrong. If I was not practicing a lot, a 1C would be too much work for my face. A smaller piece would be the result of this analysis.

6. Rimshot

Rimshot Pianissimo User

Feb 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    You know, it would be worth getting myself banned from this sight if I could induce Rowuk to get down and nasty enough to get him banned to. Anything to get the egotistical drivel he posts here off the "airways". But why bother?

Maybe because I think messing up young students with garbage Web-advice is worth it?

Ah, forget it.

7. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    The weight of words.....has been posted in another thread as I recall but worth its repeat when needed.

I want to thank you for your link regarding mpc sizes.

Rimshot, there is something to be learned from eveyone here; so, take it in stride and it will not be just another "rimshot" in life.

Concerning the poly-tics forum, I'm glad to be talking more about trumpets and mpcs. Someday I'll tell you about the unique mpc that Taylor made for me which makes a sound that you would die for.

Liad

8. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Rim, you're fussy and wrong.

Rowuk you're cordial and right.

Nufsed.

Richard Oliver

9. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    I'm with Alex. I finally stopped at a 3D and got thrown out of the band for being too loud. I didn't think it was that bad. (I have a large bore Bflat.)

I would use a smaller mouth piece if I could get my apperture closed. I was, and still am, hung up on an open apperture. There are a lot of variables to this mouth piece subject.

10. masterfulmusic29

masterfulmusic29 New Friend

Dec 15, 2006
    I personally prefer a 1.5C Bach. It just feels better than a megatone or a 1C or a 7 5 3 or any other number that I have found. My advice to you is that you only spent 10 dollars on it and you already have it. Try it for at least 3 months ( based on 1.5 hrs per day) with no swapping back and forth. Then record yourself and hear the difference and decide if it is worth the extra effort for you.
    James