bach 3c to bach 1 1/2 c mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Apr 10, 2011.

1. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Just wondering if any of you have gone from a bach 3c to a bach 1 1/2 c trumpet mouthpiece, and what was the biggest difference you found if any at all.

2. CaptainAddy

CaptainAddy Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2010
    Camden County, GA
    It's more room to fit your chops in, deeper cup, a world of difference. My lips would leak air because the aperture formed would always be too large when met with such a large rim diameter. I played a 3C for about a year, and decided it wasn't for me, as the leakage and airy sound that I got when I started playing (lips hadn't swollen) was too much. I'm a happy 6-7 rim player now. Best of luck. Oh, and make sure to go about slowly, and no switching: a mouthpiece change is a big difference, and switching will screw up your face.

3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Here is what the Bach web page says
    11⁄2C* Medium 17.00 mm Medium wide, Large diameter, medium cup – good for all-around use.
    3C* Medium 16.30 mm Medium wide. Fairly large cup, good for all-around use.

I also pulled both up on Kanstul's mouthpiece comparator. ON it, I did not "see" the 16.3 vs 17 mm cup diameter which makes me wonder about the accuracy of the comparator. It did show the 1 1/2 C as having a slightly deeper cup.

TO be honest, both mouthpieces are pretty close to eachother. As a youth I moved from a 3c to a 1 and 1l2C for a slightly bigger sound. I'm back on the 3C today.

Again, the difference between the two appears very small. Why do you think you need a different mouthpiece?

The best way to know is to ty one. Most music shops will let you try one. Take your horn down and see what you think. They likely even have some used ones.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I've never encountered a problem with any size mouthpiece, albeit some I find more comfortable than others as I've played almost all the brass horns from picc down to suzy. All it takes is a mindset to make do and then do it. That said, it is difficult at first to do many switcheroos at a gig, but after given enough time and practice on the different instruments it becomes so much easier that it becomes almost second nature. True also is that different mouthpieces render different tones and such may be a nemisis preventing your blend in sections.

5. Carolina_Jazzman

Carolina_Jazzman Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2011
    I am fairly new to trumpet and started off almost right away with a 3C and after a few months switched to a 1C. I have rather thick, wide lips and the 7C that came with my horn felt really cramped and my teacher said I had a pinched sound. Although I don't know if that was the mouthpiece as much as lack of skill. I do know since switching my chops don't get tired as quick, and I don't have to try as hard to hit the higher notes. Then again that may just be me getting more used to playing. I do know it feels a lot more comfortable to me.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Being new, I won't quash the idea of using whatever mpc feels comfortable to you and will only suggest that for now that every now and then you do try the 7C and 3C again, although the 3C design tends to play higher notes better than the 7C, the problem as may be encountered with "thick lips" is that far too much lip gets into the mpc cup and cuts off the desired sound, vis "pinched" as your teacher stated. I do feel that such isn't "thick lips" but that they are presently too soft ... mushy if I may ...and need to be toughened as will only come with the due diligence of practice.

7. Carolina_Jazzman

Carolina_Jazzman Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2011
    You could be right. I'm still learning so I try to take the advice of those who have been around a little longer. I might revisit the 3C and see how it feels but I don't think I go all the way back to the 7. I could tell a night and day difference in the two. Of course the stock Giardinelli mp had a wide flat rim. Maybe I'll try a Bach since that's what my other two are.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I went to a 1 1/2C when I was young because I thought better players use bigger mouthpieces ... then I went back to a 3C and was very happy I did
    The only reason I am playing a 2 1/2C now is it was on sale at a music shop and my wife bought it for me before I even started my come back... her little joke "hey Hon, I bought you a Bach!!!"
    I am planning on getting another 3C soon
    the moral of the story ...
    If you feel you need a change for some quantifiable reason .. go for it
    but if it's because of some preconcieved notion about mouthpiece sizes ... reconsider
    IMHO

9. JediYoda

JediYoda Mezzo Piano User

Sep 25, 2010
    State of Confusion
    People swear by those mouthpiece comparison charts. Yet in the day I was playing a Vincent Bach Corporation 3c and I switched to a 1 1/2 C and let me tell you..IMO there was a world of difference. So to each his own.

As it is I am currently playing a Vincent Bach 6C and in the process of having a custom mouthpiece made for me.

Good [email protected]

10. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Thanks again to all of you. Your experiences have been very helpful to me. I guess it goes back to what a teacher told me many years ago. It's not the plumbing but the plumber that gets the job done.