Bach 5C

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by rdt1959, Nov 20, 2003.

1. rdt1959

rdt1959 Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Georgia
    Since I started playing again, I have read alot about many...many...different mouthpiece.

Schilkes
    GR
    Monette
    Bach 1
    Bach 1 1/2
    Bach 3
    etc
    etc

But I don't recall reading anything good OR bad in any of the forums about the Bach 5c.

When I was in junior high and most of high school I played on a Bach 7c mouthpiece. In December of my senoir year in high school (after marching band had finished...ugh), I switched to the 5c. I loved the "warmer" or "rounder" tone I got! (yes, I lost range initially, but got it back pretty quickly).

So when I started playing again just a year ago, I switched back to the 5c as soon as I could (been playing on the about 6 months now).

I am just curious why I don't hear more about the 5c? Is there something wrong with it? (I mean wrong...as opposed to being unpopular). I would be interested in hearing what ya'all say about the 5c.

Thanks

2. LFRoberts5

LFRoberts5 Pianissimo User

Nov 1, 2003
    St. Louis
    I PLAYED a Bach 5C
    Now I use the GR 65MX and Curry 5BC. "Same" as the Bach 5C only better. If you like it stay with it.
    Lloyd

3. kdawg

kdawg New Friend

Nov 19, 2003
    I used to play a bach 5B...
    then i was switched to a schilke 14...
    then i was switched back to a mouthpiece w/ a rim diamater the same as a 5...
    now whenever i get a mouthpiece it has to have the same diameter...
    odds are i could still be playing that 5b... it was a pretty good mouthpiece... but the safari called... and now i have problems chosing wich mouthpiece to play sometimes

4. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    a 5c is a good mouthpiece...stick with it.

5. rdt1959

rdt1959 Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Georgia
    Yeah, I think the 5C is a good mouth piece, and yeah, I do intend to stick with it for quite a while.

But, as with any other type of mouthpiece, it doesn't do ya any good unless you put it up to your face :!:

With my current lack of practice time, NO mouth piece is gonna make me sound better!

Just was wondering why we don't hear more about it.

6. Gnostic

Gnostic New Friend

Oct 24, 2003
    :)

7. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    as my teacher in college would always say:

"one bad mpc is better than 2 good ones"

I think that holds true

also

i have heard that many big time pro lead players use a 5c so it is out there..

8. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I think its coming from directors and trumpet instructors.

It seems a very common belief in the director/instructor community
    is that bigger is better. Why? Who knows? One guess would be that
    instructors steer the students towards an orchestral pursuit where bigger mouthpieces, 3C, 2C, 1C, etc. are common.

I disagree with the idea that bigger is better for tone and smaller is better for range. For beginners yes, but not for mature players. I think each person has a unqiue embouchure/wind column and therefore what matches it best is unique to each player and not to a specific style.

Greg

9. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    "I think each person has a unqiue embouchure/wind column and therefore what matches it best is unique to each player and not to a specific style. "

i would disagree. most legit players i know use gear that is pretty close in size.

10. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    That does not mean they are playing the best mpc. for their embouchure. It just means they are playing what everyone else is. Same story with the horn. Just because something is popular or common doesn't mean its the best.

Is a Yamaha YTR2335 better than a Xeno?
    Is a Humes and Berg Straight Mute better than a Jo Ral?

Is a Camry better than a Lexus?
    Is a Pioneer loudspeaker better than a Wharfedale?
    Is a Bic Mac better than a Timberlodge steak?

Common does not mean better.

Greg