Bach 72: Having a hard time projecting in the marching band section

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by centerofaTONEment, Oct 10, 2011.

1. centerofaTONEment

centerofaTONEment New Friend

Mar 3, 2010
    I play on an LR180s72 strad for all style of music including marching band. In marching band I have a solo that can't be heard when playing my 72. When i play my friends silver flair I stand out just enough to be heard. I'm wondering if my trumpet overall is just more for a small group jazz or classical setting. Does anyone have any suggestions of horns to try out? Some horns that are very versatile with good quality craftsmanship.

I've tried every kind of mouthpiece on the 72. From a Marcinkiewicz Eric Miyashiro model to a Curry 3c, but nothing is brightening my sound up enough. And, did I mention how dark the 72's sound is?

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Well a 72 is supposed to be a dark instrument, how about a 37 strad? I like the 72 because of the darkness and the 37 is way to bright for me. You could try a 7c with a 37 and that should be very bright. Hope that helped.

3. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    Blow louder!

Practice middle register bell tones. Have the tongue penetrate both lips with tons of sir support. Pay no attention to the tone quality or accuracy at first. Use this technique in practice and performance. In time the musical quality of the tone will improve at higher volume.

Essentially you have two problems right now.

1. Your tone lacks a large enough dynamic range. ie, you either can't blow loudly enough or can't blow loud musically.

2. You don't have an understanding of how loud the professional or expert player must blow in order to project the tone in an ensemble setting.

Edited: The key words in your post are that the Silver Flair "stands out just enough to be heard". In fact this is a problem too. You ought to at least be capable of playing loud enough to have sufficient tone travel backwards from the trumpet bell to your own ears. Even on the other horn. You might choose not to play so loudly all the time. To save endurance. However you should at least be capable of playing that loud.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  4. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I promise you that a Bach 72 can melt paint and be heard over any ensemble. There may be other horns more suitable to your playing style, maybe a step bore horn like a Yamaha Z, or a tight horn with a big bell like a Connstellation or a Kanstul 990

5. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    If you want to be heard, try a Getzen Severinsen model. They cut through pretty well. My next choice would be Conn Connstellation 38B.

FWIW

6. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    You don't have an equipment problem -- you have a sound concept problem. If you switch to a naturally brighter trumpet you'll sound brighter and more cutting for a while, but if you continue to play with the same sound concept you'll eventually gravitate back to the type of sound you have now. It might not be exactly the same sound, but it will be the same type of sound and probably have the same limitations on the marching field.

7. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Is it a ML or a MLV bore? I love my 72 MLV, but it is a pretty dark horn--I need a tight backbore to help the slotting; a relatively shallow mouthpiece helps some; but it takes work to make it project like a 37 ML horn.

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Projection isn't about volume. It is about focusing your sound on a distant target. If you simply try to blow louder you will exhaust yourself in no time. You need to spend some time practicing outside to get the hang of it. Remember that what you hear is not what the folks in the stands will hear.

9. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    Let's just agree to tell him to blow louder.

While some horns will definitely project better he still ought to be able to cut through on any instrument manufacturer. It is only easier and less tiring to use an ax that plays louder or cuts through.

If it truly is impossible for him to cut through well on the 72? It means his tone is only marginally loud enough. Some trumpet players do have trouble with volume. Their tones thin and unable to blow a solid fortissimo. Bell tone practice can help this. As does a sturdy pair of lungs and the willingness to not play shyly.

10. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    To the OP: have you had it independently verified that you cannot be heard? Or is that what it seems from your personal feedback from the horn?