Bach 72: Having a hard time projecting in the marching band section

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by centerofaTONEment, Oct 10, 2011.

1. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Are you playing outdoors in cold weather? Cold weather can hurt projection bigtime.

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    especially IF THE HORN IS DIRTY

3. centerofaTONEment

centerofaTONEment New Friend

Mar 3, 2010
    Eh... never said the silver flair was better. I meant it gives me a more edgy sound. So I rented one, and the listeners are satisfied to my understanding. My tone is just too spread on the 72. My sound is more focused with a core, rather than blasted.

4. TheWahls

TheWahls New Friend

Sep 29, 2011
    Not necessarily. My dad taught me how to locate a 12-6 in and out of the zone before locating a fastball because a hitter was more likely to chase it out of the zone than the cut FB. Then I learned a splitter, then a slider. I tore my quad in half my soph year, and wasn't able to play until playing again in a summer college league. I had an ERA under 2 because I could locate four pitches. I hit .480 that summer because of what you're saying - you foul off two pitches and the guy on the mound is out of tricks to throw at you (at least with most of them).

Anyway, back to music, I have played 3 or 4 Bach Strads (unsure of specific models) with their original factory mouthpieces and I hate them. I brought up an old Getzen mpc that I rarely use, and they would sing like crazy.

In short, what someone says may or may not work for you. Experiment with mouthpieces and horns until you find the answer you're looking for.

5. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    :lol: I'm sure there's a dirty joke in there somewhere. "That's what he said," or something along those lines.

6. homebilly

homebilly Pianissimo User

Dec 29, 2010
    Los Angeles & Paris, Fran
    what on earth are you using a bach strad for out on the marching field??

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Great sound, easy to play, good projection. All of the things that we buy good horns for. Only really careless students need to be protected from themselves.

If the choreography is as well managed as practicing should be, there is little danger of collisions!

8. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    My senior year I used my Bach 37 on the marching field. I still have that horn and in looks brand new after 15yrs.

I'm with these guys, your 72 with a 3C mp should kill with the right support behind it.

IMO if you really are having a problem projecting (i.e. it's not a matter of the band being too loud) you need to work with a teacher or other more experienced player to get it right.

9. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    I used a 72/43 large bore with a 3C for years. Projection was never a problem and it was one of the finest horns I ever used. Care was needed to not get carried away with the ease of playing as to not be too loud.
    In high school, I marched around with a brand new Burbank Benge. Never any issues about marching with it and as Rowuk stated, the ease of playing made the outside work very easy. 20 yuears later, the 72/43 was the horn that replaced the Burbank Benge.
    Rich T.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  10. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    IAWTP. Marching band and drum corps are not everyone's cup of tea, but if you're out there you should be taking your musicianship seriously. If you're a college trumpet major who can't afford to mess up your main Bb horn, I can understand going out there with your backup pro horn or even a good step-up horn but showing up with some played-out Bundy or Ambassador is just disrespectful.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011