Bach 72: Having a hard time projecting in the marching band section

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by centerofaTONEment, Oct 10, 2011.

1. nilloc97

nilloc97 New Friend

Oct 17, 2011
    USA, Georgia
  2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Did you have the horn checked out.. valve alignment.. is it clean?
    Seriously

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Maybe it's time to mention the "wimp" word. Just sayin'.

4. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I played a Blessing ML1 with a Bach 3b megatone mouthpiece in high school. Projection was never a problem. I don't think your horn is the issue.My director put a lot of focus on breathing the right way. Put some air through the horn and projection will take care of itself. Trying to force projection will most likely end up with a tense sound that does not project. Look into some of Arnold Jacobs material on breathing. That should help.

5. centerofaTONEment

centerofaTONEment New Friend

Mar 3, 2010
    so i got my horn cleaned. twas the problem my horn was really clogged and disgusting. typical high school player neglecting the care of their instrument. haha

6. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    gross, learn to clean a trumpet on your own or things will start to live in there

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Ditto! GROSS!!

8. Steve Hollahan

Steve Hollahan Pianissimo User

May 31, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    I played a 72 Bach for many years, always liking the sound but realizing my dark tone was not as desirable. It did what I wanted, but eventually switched to a 37 for brighter sound. I would suggest a valve align and maybe opening the throat of the mouthpipe to allow more air to flow. Sound is a mental concept, but is governed by equipment. An accoustic principle, mass dampens frequency, works here. A slightly larger bell has a natural darker sound. Try to use a slightly smaller mouthpiece w/ a 27 throat. It will allow for more bright sound. Check w/ Bob Reeves mouthpiece comparator for a good change to the sound you want. As I wish I still had my 72, don't sell a horn you like that works.

9. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    That is exactly why I use my 1960 Strad 37 on the marching field. I don't want to sit there wrestling with a crappy trumpet, I want to play, and sound good. There's a reason why judges put their mic in front of the bell of my horn at points, you can make a good sound with a dynasty or what not, but why not do it effortlessly (relatively speaking) on a great horn?

Besides go look at drum corps. The majority of the top corps are all playing on Yamaha Xenos and Kings' top of the line horns. The horns sound great. Play well, and are more durable then your cheap run of the mill trumpet.

I know someone that even dared to use their Monette on a college marching band field. :shock:

10. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    My Xeno came from the Madison Scouts. It was used for about four seasons, but the sweat had eaten some of the silver plate on the valve block already!