Bach 72: Having a hard time projecting in the marching band section

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by centerofaTONEment, Oct 10, 2011.

1. PatMurphy

PatMurphy Pianissimo User

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ
    Since I have an old 72 with lightweight bell, I have attest I have NEVER found any group with mics I could not cut w/o a mic if I wanted to. I vote for either you need to have someone who is in FRONT of the horn tell you you are indeed "lost in the crowd" or you need to "Give 'em more attitude". I have seen several young players who sound so tentative. Like timid biys instead of men. I usually ask if I can try their horn. it usually sounds like a completely different instrument. Something that helps me get a fuller sound is to practice outside, pointed at the woods. Not only does it help but it is such a beautiful sound.

2. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Aside from playing music, instead of hackneyed marching band staples, the only things I got out of marching band were increased endurance, increased control, greater projection, greater breadth of volume, better tone, and increased range. I was VERY, VERY fortunate to be in the best high school band in the state at the time and the best college band in the Southeast after that. The directors made sure we played music that the audience would actually listen to, and they grouped us on the field so that the band's volume was consistent and focused on the audience regardless of whatever maneuver we were doing. The bottom line is that anyone in a marching band has a wonderful opportunity to become a much better player as a result.

Bach Stradivarius Model 72* trumpet
    Yamaha YFH-731 flugelhorn
    King Opus 7 cornet
    King Cleveland 602 cornet
    Parrot Bb field trumpet
    natural trumpet in key of C (frankenhorn under construction)
    Selmer Bundy tenor trombone

"There are two sides to a trumpeter's personality: there is the one that lives only to lay waste to the woodwinds and strings, leaving them lying blue and lifeless along the path of destruction that is a trumpeter's fury; then there's the dark side..." -- Michael Stewart, DMA