Bach 72 intonation issues

Discussion in 'Horns' started by weebslayer, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    This is the point I was about to make - many times, a big, deep, open mouthpiece will allow a player more flexibility in centering the note (or missing the center), and if the mouthpiece is unfamiliar or the embouchure is a bit weak, there will be intonation issues for a while.

2. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Colorado Springs
    Any trumpet could have issues. I love the sound of the 72.

3. chef8489

chef8489 Piano User

Aug 8, 2011
    Asheville nc
    I was all set on getting a 72. Its been on my list for around 7 years, but watched a video today on a 65 and man oh man did the 65 sound so good. Now i am second guessing the 72.

4. ATrumpetDude

ATrumpetDude Piano User

Sep 15, 2015
    Funny, I played on a 72* as my primary Bb for 7 years and then a 65GH for 15 after that. Also are we talking about a 72*(lightweight) or a 72 no star? I think the 72* is more of a winner between those 2. I wouldn't base your decision on how someone else sounded in a vid though, ideally you could play them both before buying, easier said then done I know, especially for the 65.

The 65 is not as widely played/is pretty rare to find. I have moved away recently from playing mine because I realized how much work it was for me to play after gigging some other horns the last several months. When I got the 65 I was playing all the time and just loved the big sound, but now it just seems like I have to put a ton of energy into it to get the sound I want and is exhausting. Of course my 65 is a heavy weight too so maybe that has something to do with it. The 72* is a great horn honestly, I really loved mine and to the point of this thread I don't recall having any unusual intonation issues with it.

J. Jericho likes this.
  5. chef8489

chef8489 Piano User

Aug 8, 2011
    Asheville nc
    The 72 i tried back i 2010 was a standard 72/43 and played amazing. I had a wonderful dark rich sound with great projection and was a great free blowing horn. I have not tried a light weight bell 72, but thought of either a lt bodie and standard bell of eitber tbe 65 or 72. Maybe reverse leadpipe.