Bach 7C to larger diameters. Range question.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trompi, Aug 30, 2005.

1. trompi

trompi New Friend

Aug 20, 2005
    SP
    Should I loose some range changing from Bach 7C to a slightly larger diameter (say 1C or 1 1/2C)?.

Please, tell me your experience.

Thanks in advance.

2. Mr. Semman

Mr. Semman Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2005
    West Brookfield, MA
    I moved gradually from the 7C to a 5C then to a 3C. I found that I had more flexibility for reaching the lower range and was still capable of reaching the higher ranges.

Gary

3. Stradivarius

Stradivarius New Friend

Aug 24, 2005
    California, US
    i found the bigger the mouth piece, the higher i could play, since i could put more air through it :D

4. pwillini

pwillini Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    Kalamazoo, MI
    When I was in my teens taking lessons, my teacher put me in a 10 1/2C from the standard 7C. Since my comeback began in earnest the last 5 years, I have gone from the 10 1/2C to a 5C to a 3C (at the advice of Smedveg after a master's class) to my current 1C or plain old 1.

While smaller, shallower mp's make it easier to extend one's range (that's why some call them cheaters, I like to call them "style specific") a larger mp makes one's emboucher much stronger. You learn to control a larger area of your lips inside the rim. There is a different sound as you go to a larger mp, I like the sound of the 1 when I'm playing in an ensemble, the 1C works better for solo work (a bit brighter). A larger mp will give you a broader, warmer, more symphonic sound. (I have several cheaters, all sound much thinner than the 1's I play).

Buy a couple of larger mp's (1, 1X, 1.25C, 1.5C) and see for yourself. Watch EBay, you can usually pick these up rather cheaply if you watch closely!

5. trompi

trompi New Friend

Aug 20, 2005
    SP
    Thanks for all replies :)

I could get a 1CW. Does its wide rim make this model much different than a 1C?.

Trompi.