Bach Advice

Discussion in 'Horns' started by camelbrass, May 28, 2004.

1. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Hi,

I must admit that I'm very happy with the trumpets I play in everything but one circumstance, small ensembles.

The Kanstul tends to want to take over in small ensemble settings (I won't even try to describe the Taylor in that setting!!) and would really love to play something with a more delicate touch, finesse if you like, with a nice clear brilliance..I know a lot of it's in the player but, hey I'm looking for a new horn and need the excuse :D

I want to be able to find a Bach that I like (so far I've only been able to play 6 or so 37s and none of them fitted me) so I'm looking for suggestions. Would one of the medium, bores suit? Any suggestions?

Regards

Trevor

2. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    I have a 37 that is alright for overall, not my ideal horn but it works, in small enembles however I much prefer to play my teachers strad 43 bell in laquer from the mid 70's I think. It blends really well and has almost no edge to the sound. I know its a ML bore, Im not sure what leadpipe it has, it looks original so whatever the standard leadpipe with the 43 bell in the mid 70's was, thats probably it. I always use this horn when I can get to it for small ensembles.

3. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Having played several horn now with a reverse leadpipe, I would say buy one with a reverse leadpipe for small ensemble work. A Bach 43 with a 25LR leadpipe would be nice. I don't think you have to go back and buy a 70's horn either. The new Bachs seem to be playing as well as ever -- Bach seems to be getting its act together.

But the reverse leadpipe makes a HUGE difference in upper register intonation without blowing your brains out, and makes pianissimo passages better too.

M&C

4. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Thanks for the reply guys.

Looks like the 43 bell is favourite then!!

I'll have to try a few back in the UK over the summer and see how they go. Jim, that must have hurt..what about an LR Zeus with a sterling bell?? Now there's food for thought :)

Regards

Trevor

5. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    I change my mpc for various ensemble sounds. As long as a horn is not too specialized, I find that this works well with most horns.

Dave

6. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    I find that you can adapt the 37 to do pretty much anything you want, but as people have already suggested, you might like the 43, or a 37 with a reverse-lead pipe. Also, be sure to check out the sterling silver Bachs.

Try everything you can, and find something you really like - that's generally the best advice with regards to trumpet selection. Take a day to raid the shelves at Parker's.

7. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    I guess food for thought. I don't think it would fit the ZeuS idea of making great horns at a great price. But one never knows what Alex will design next! I am just a fan of good horns -- Bach has always had a place in my heart. But I am serious about the reverse leadpipe -- it makes a difference!

Jim

8. music matters

music matters Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2004
    ON Canada
    I'd buy a Schilke B1 Trevor!

9. latinjazzcat

latinjazzcat Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    West Virginia
    I recently purchased a new horn, and it was indeed an LR180 43G. It was a tough choice between that horn and a Conn V1 with a rose brass bell, but I found the Bach to be much more versatile. I've found everything these cats have said to be right on. It blends well, and I've found the gold brass bell/43 flare combination gives it the "brilliance" you mention (at least, I think lol). The only thing I've yet to work out is trying to manipulate the sound for jazz solo stuff. I think that's most likely a mouthpiece issue though. Anyways, point is, out of many top line horns, including Kanstul, Schilke, Conn, and Yamaha, this one was the best match for me, and I would highly recomend it.

10. alexT

alexT New Friend

May 18, 2004
    London, UK
    Bach Trumpets are way overpriced for what they are. You can't make a Strad 37 and sell it to thousands of players and expect the result to be good. It's impossible to make a horn that suits everyone. I think it is immoral that so many tutors suggest buying these horns to individuals just because they know it’s a safe bet and they won't have to go a long and help choose the CORRECT horn for the player. The Bach 37 may be the perfect horn for some, but I know it’s not for a lot more! Why spend £1800 on a trumpet that doesn't fit your playing when for the extra £200 you can get an Eclipse, or any other custom made horn that is the right set up for you? Or even get an old Benge for £600 and you have a horn for a 1/3 of the price that is 10x superior. I wish people would stop being fooled by Bach's product identity, they are stealing millions from people who really want a trumpet that will help them improve and develop as a musician, they are doing this for some, but no way for the massive amount of trumpets they produce. To anyone considering buying a Bach or any trumpet for that matter, please try every other horn available for you to try, in the music shops, trying your piers trumpets, your teachers etc. As you may tell I myself am not a Bach 37 zombie, or lover for that matter. Ever since I was 11 when I was looking for a pro horn I didn't like the fell of any Bach Strad I tried, and I tried the lot! I tried Edwards, Shilkes, the lot, and I ended up getting a second hand Benge that felt right. Now I'm getting an Eclipse that is ordered, just got those weeks for the beauty to arrive! I can't wait. Enjoy Music... that’s the most important thing really no matter what tool you have to make it!

Alex