Bach Bell Question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by VentureScore, Apr 25, 2013.

1. VentureScore

VentureScore Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    I need to replace the bell on my trusty Bach 37. (Let's just say, that NEVER AGAIN will I be a user of gig bags - always hard cases........)
    Ideally, I'll find a descent price on an older 37 bell on ebay, or other location.
    In the meantime - I friend of mine (former teacher / horn collector) has a Bach 239 bell that he has offered me. I know this bell is for "C" trumpets.... but would it work?

(My guess is that the 239 bell is slightly shorter.... but just a guess)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    It's about the same length, but who knows how it would work on a Bb horn.

3. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Don't do it. There are plenty of Bach 37 bells out there. It's worth the investment.

Is the original bell truly irrepairable? I have seen some amazing resurrections of crumpled bells.

4. VentureScore

Jan 24, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    "Don't do it..." Definitive - I like that :-)
    The bell got badly cunched when I was in college - this is the second good crunch. There's a small crack on the outer edge. She still plays fairly well, I did a big Gabrielli concert with it over Chrstmas, so it's not an "emergency."
    But I think it's time to let this bell retire.
    My instinct was that this would not be the best idea, but it was just a gut reaction.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  5. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Understood. If this is the second time, and there is a tear/crack, I would find another 37 bell.

6. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    What about having the horn modified into a tuneable bell thingie? Then you can experiment with different bells... I did the same with my Jupiter STR-1010 (tuneable bell, came with a straight one and a Dizzy style banana horn). Put a Schilke beryllium bell on - worked and sounded a treat ( so much so that a guy I lent the hooter to never returned it and decamped to a new post somewhere in Africa - can't be traced...)

7. VentureScore

Jan 24, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    Setting it up as tunable bell... good thought. If I can't get a good 37 bell that'll be something to look into. Thanks.

8. TekTrumpet27

TekTrumpet27 New Friend

Sep 19, 2008
    Missouri
  9. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Disagree. The C trumpet has the valves about an inch closer to the player than the Bb. This means that the bell tail is shorter (the silhouettes of the horns are the same length) so the pitch will be sharp.

10. VentureScore

Jan 24, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    Thank you Ivan