Bach Bell Question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by VentureScore, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Well, yes and no - I said they were about the same length. I just pulled out my Bach Strad 239 C trumpet and compared it to my Bach Strad 43 Bb trumpet. The bell tail on the 239 is 1/4" shorter than the 43 bell. The main reason the C trumpet valves are so much closer to the player is the shorter mouthpipe on the C (mine has the standard 25C mouthpipe), which locates the mouthpiece receiver closer to the valves. Using length alone as a criteria, putting a 239 bell on a Bach Bb trumpet would require only an additional 1/8" pull on the tuning slide to be in tune.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
    tobylou8 likes this.
  2. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    This is very interesting. I just compared my demo #37 with a #239 which just came in, and the difference is 0.450". Measurements I took a while ago on a different horn were close to 1" and Dale has one which runs at 0.25". I wonder what has been going on at Bach?

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Well, that's strange. Are the various Bach C mouthpipe options all the same length? Different length mouthpipes would seem to be about the only reason for bell tail variations.

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    An eternal question if ever there was one. I think what began with VB's incessant tweaking of design has morphed into an institutional mindset. Remember the leadpipe/tuning slide variation of the early Mt. Vernons and the wonky intonation / long slide pull which resulted? Yet some of those horns played so well that folks either lived with them or have modifications done. Every generation of Bachs has had some interesting design deviations and each has theri following. I think the idea is to keep our eye/earballs from developng a fixed focus. Perhaps there is something about Bach lovers - they like to be kept a wee bit off balance.

5. VentureScore

VentureScore Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    This is one of the things I love about us trumpet players - ask a dozen of us a seamingly simple question - and you get a baker's-dozen different answers :-)
    I guess there's a reason for all the jokes that start; "How many trumpet players does it take to........" :grouphug:

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I didn't know VB worked for Bach! :roll:
    I like the idea of a tunable/modular bell set up. 37 for legit and 43 light for screamin'.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    For C trumpets the A pipes are longer and the H shorter than "standard." As long as the bell is coming off anyway, I kind of like the tuneable bell idea. Should be able to adapt the 239 bell that way.

8. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    How many trumpet player jokes are there?

Three

The rest are all true stories

9. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    With the longer pipe, the tuning slide is shorter, so the overall length of the "mouth pipe assembly" is the same