Bach Bell Questions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lovevixen555, Dec 30, 2008.

1. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Ok so I have a parts supplier that has a Bach #72 bell. Now he calls it a Heavy Bach Bell but when I read various information Bach list's this bell as standard weight. In fact it is listed as a standard weight bell just like the #37 is listed as standard weight. So is my information wrong on the weight of the bells or is it accurate and just the profile of the two bells is different? When I read most peoples post's they normal refer to the #37 bell as a light weight bell and #72 as a heavy weight bell which is also how my part's guy refer's to them but the sales page information does not list them this way?

So now I have to wounder if my part's guy is just telling me what I want to hear. He knows I like darker edgier sounding trumpet's and heavy bell's. So was his recomendation still sound when he told me that the Bach #72 had more of a dark Jazz sound? I understand that bore profile and taper makes a huge impact inthe sound i just want to make sure I pick the bell that best match's what I want. So if I want a darker edgier sound will the Bach #72 provide that? Like wise if I should decide I want more of a lead trumpet sound would the Bach #37 bell be the best choice?

I am also considering a copper bell but that is a real wild card since it is not an OEM bell so hard to say how that is going to sound?

I was also looking at a light weight and Heavy weight bells from Harrelson Trumpet. I am assumeing that the Muse Light Weight bell would be sweet and bright sounding?

I am close to makeing a decision and just want some last minute input.

I am thinking that if I want to buil a leadtrumpet then I am betteroff with a light weight bell but for anything but lead a darker sound would probably be the better way to go? Correct my thinking if it needs to be corrected and I know I am over simplifing. A light weight bell will resonate more and add to the upper register in terms of sound output and brillance once you are above the staff.It will also be more responcive above the staff then a heavy bell. A heavier bell will slot better, sound warmer, and can be made to sound ediger if you wish and will still play fine in the upper register it just will not add anything to the upper register.

So for over all flexability a heavier bell is the way to go but for lead trumpet and lot's of work in the upper register a light weight bell is the way to go?

I have also been told by several trumpet builders that light weight trumpet's tire the player faster and are actualy harder to play? I keep hearing that heavy braces, heavy bell etc...... will make for a trumpet that slots well, is easy to play and can be played longer before the chop's need a break!

I guess though for every rule of thub their are exceptions?? I am asking becasue origanaly I was going to go with a heavy bell but light weight braceing.Now I am thinking that the weight of bell matters little it is more about bore profile and where you place the additional mass ie braceing and valve engine etc.....

Like wise when I read Smith Watkins research bell material according to them is not an issue it is really only the bore profile that counts. If that is the case then it really does not matter if I use Red Brass,Copper,Yellow Brass,Rose Brass etc......They went so far as to use plastic.

So let's get some talking going on. The input I get is going to go towards my $51 trumpet project!

Right now the price leader for bell's is a copper bell that I would have to bend myself $50. Next inline is a Bach #37 in silver palte like new take off $150, next is a Bach #72 Raw Brand New$200, Next up is a Red Brass Holton $250, Harrelson Bells New Take Off's blemished $350 and a Martin Committee bell like new take off $500. I have not looked at the prices from Allied Supply for the high end Getzen's or other models yet. If anyone thinks a premium Getzen or other model is worth looking into spit it out and I will see what I can get it for from allied supply. I am not a dealer though so I have to go through my repair guy and I can only imagine how much they would mark it up. I am trying to stay away from any additional markup unless one of you guy's on here can get me a premium OEM bell for less then what I have put up and in which case I would gladly give you my business! I almost bought a Benge 4X but at the time my oldest boy needed glass's so Ebay had to wait since my Boy's needs especialy health take priority over my hobby. I could have bought the boy an Intermediate trumpet for the price of his glass's!!LOL But I am sure they where a better investment!

2. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    The Bach bell would be marked 72H, the 72 is regular weight, the 72* would be lightweight,the 72G would be regular weight gold brass, the 72G* would be light weight gold brass.

Pete

3. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I have never seen a heavy bell and bracings made by VB corporation...so 72H is quite unlikely to be found. If you want a heavy bell, you should ask rather some custom builders like Taylor, Eclipse, Spada, Possegger, NYTC...You can try also with companies like Courtois who produce heavy trumpets anyway or make it yourself...My 0.02 : If it was so easy to produce efficient heavy trumpets there would be many companies to produce them...it is not just the weight and the shape of the bell...how it fits in the general design, the place, weight and shape of the bracings etc.

4. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Thanks Pete!!! I tried researching it myself but I felt I was spinning my wheels with reguards tot he differing information I was reading at different sights! I knew some one that knew Bach's or had a better web site then the one's I have been looking at would be able to make that more clear. Most sights have the smae marketing description on the products so it must be cut and paste from the sales material.

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Vixen,

This is the page BachLoyalist.com - Trumpets that gives you basic info about strads bells leadpipes etc. I don't think that you can find any additional info that is not covered in this site about Bach horns.

6. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    These are made, just not used much in mass produced bach trumpets. The heavy bells have to be custom ordered. The only mass produced bach trumpet with a heavy bell I've seen is http://www.music123.com/Bach-180SL-72GH-Custom-Stradivarius-Trumpet-466872-i1144746.Music123

It's a strad with a heavy gold brass 72 bell and a 7 leadpipe (7/72GH), which was strangely close to my Dillon's contest entry (7/72H). It would seem they added it to the catlogue pretty recently.

7. ramula7

ramula7 Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2008
    Hi!
    If you have in stock Bach Lower Tuning Slide Outer Tube ? OUTSIDE T.SLIDE TUBE, LOWER You have it on the site available?
    For my 43 leadpipe
    Let me know
    I'm from Russia & Bach Strad BELL 37 [​IMG]

Thanks

8. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    Why not just get Jaso Harrelson to make you a bell? I've not played his horns (yet), but from his videos, he seems to have a good idea of what he's doing in the area of improving trumpets.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Zombie la Bombie thread!!!!!

10. ramula7

ramula7 Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2008
    I need a Bach Strad BELL 37 & Bach Lower Tuning Slide Outer Tube NOS