Bach C ml

Discussion in 'Horns' started by joe brown, Apr 17, 2004.

1. joe brown

joe brown New Friend

Jan 16, 2004
    atlanta,ga/st. croix usvi
    I just purchased a Bach C with a Ml bore. I haven't seen too many of these out there it is a 229, 25H serial number 32xxx. I know the lead pipe has been changed because I don't think they had the 25H pipe on the very early Elkharts. It's totally been restored and plays like a dream. I have owned many Bach's including C's but never played a Ml C. Why don't more Orchestra's play the ML's.

2. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    Because it's like taking a knife to a gun fight. The ML/C's are very nice for small ensemble work. For a modern pro-orchestra you need the LB.

3. Sol

Sol Pianissimo User

Jan 25, 2004
    Good question. I don't think that many are even made anymore, so it would be that much harder to get hold of a good one. Vacchiano used to play a MEDIUM bore Bach C trumpet (among others I'm sure) and always used to tout the benefits of smaller bore instruments. Enjoy your horn, don't listen if anybody tells you otherwise.

4. davidjohnson

davidjohnson Piano User

Nov 2, 2003
    arkansas
    i played one for over 20 years (239 bell). it was super. when it was time for another (after 2 overhauls) i bought a schilke C7, but decided to stay w/my bach Bbs.

dj

5. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    Are you saying that Mr. Vacchiano played that C with the New York Phil?

At the Denver Trumpet Symposium in the early 70's Mr. Vacchiano had a N.Y. LB/C.

How many Prin. Trumpet players today play on ML/C's?

None I know of.

Wonderful for solo work, small ensemble playing ala Mr. Schwarz.

Even Ray Mase has two C's. One 229/25H, another 229/Malone (smaller, great control). Both LB.

6. Sol

Sol Pianissimo User

Jan 25, 2004
    When I used to take lessons in Vacchiano's basement, there was always an old Mt. Vernon MEDIUM bore C trumpet lying on the couch. He used to say, and this is a semiquote, " With a big mouthpiece and a smaller bore horn, I was Kingfish". He liked huge mouthpieces, and smaller horns. He also used a Bach D trumpet alot, which had a smaller bore.

I don't doubt that he also had large bore instruments. Vacchiano loved to experiment. He even put together his own horns! What I am trying to say is this: Just because a C trumpet isn't a large bore, doesn't mean you can't use it in an orchestra. It might sound better for that particular user than a large bore. It might be a better match for that person. Rules are made to be broken. Who says that you can't use a ML bore in an orchestra? As an aside, Vacchiano also liked to play Getzen C trumpets in the NY Phil, which were ML bore. They were the old Getzen Eternas that they don't make anymore.

7. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.

8. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
  9. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.

Yes he does, 229/25H from Dillons. Most American Orchestra Prin. play LB C's, Bach or Yamaha. Some others (Monette), don't know of any that play ML/C's.

10. chetbaker

chetbaker Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2003
    GEORGIA
    In the early '70's I studied with John Ware who was the assistant principal in the NY Phil at the time. Two things to add to the on-going converstaion....(1) John played a MT. Vernon Bach 239 bell MEDIUM LARGE bore C trumpet exclusively in the orchestra....and (2) he told me Vacchiano used to put bamboo shoots down the leadpipe of his D trumpet because he liked the sound and the resistance that it gave! Carmine Caruso and Jerry Callet also told me the same thing regarding the bamboo. FWIW!

Butch