Bach C trumpet (229H/25R)

Discussion in 'Horns' started by GordonH, Jul 9, 2005.

1. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    Hello
    I have one of these which I find plays very well in tune and has a quite versatile sound.
    Ove rhere in the UK C trumpet is fairly unusual.
    In the past I have used C trumpet to do the Hummel in the original key of E and for some baroque parts.

The trumpet just came back from having a repair done and I was wondering how that model is viewed in the USA?
    Is it considered an orchestral or soloists instrument?
    Is it a fairly standard set up (having the full size Bb lead pipe)?

2. Benjamin

Benjamin New Friend

Sep 30, 2004
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    While I don´t have the heavy bell, I play the 25R 229 bell and I couldn´t be happier. My use is primarily in the orchestra but I also use it for when I have to solo. I think if you are happy, that is all that matters. I am quite happy with mine.

Ben

3. Lawler Bb

Lawler Bb Piano User

Oct 25, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    I had that exact setup in raw brass for about 2 years. What a sound. It was a great horn except for the G on the top of the staff, which rode high (like most horns do). I now have a Bach/Malone 229 and really the only differences are better intonation (the G is where is should be) and a slightly quicker response. Otherwise, they are remarkably similar in feel and sound. My Bach/Malone is a little brighter when playing full out.

I would still have it if I hadn't found the Bach/Malone at such a good price.

4. Benjamin

Benjamin New Friend

Sep 30, 2004
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    I felt the G a bit high when I first got the horn too, but you learn how to control it.