Bach Cello Suite No.1 - Prelude .. anyone every try to play this on trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Jan 6, 2014.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
  2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Are you playing at the same pitch or up the octave at trumpet pitch? I think it should be played with extreme legato slurred.

Regards, Stuart.

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    It falls right smack dab in the middle of the staff Stuart.. welllll above and below here and there .. I am pretty sure it would sound better on a flugel .. trying to play it legatto with out tongue was a major fail for me .. legatto tongue sounds better still ... I have tried working the dynamics .. the tempo without over doing it ...
    It's brutal

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
  5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    and Matt here plays it technically as written ( a pretty impressive feat) .. I think he gets closer .. but the thing about Bach is I don't think a trumpet slur translates the same .. That's why I think the legatto tongue is needed. The piece when played by a cello has a beautiful feel ... on the trumpet ehhhh
    I was just wondering if anyone had any idea if this was even doable .. or is it like trying to play Smoke on the Water on trumpet.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlPifXy5UQs

6. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    "Smoke on the Water" works great on trumpet! Search YouTube for it being done by Señor Coconut (I'm using my phone for this post otherwise I'd include a link -but maybe this will work: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Puc0ZiVRESU&desktop_uri=/watch?v=Puc0ZiVRESU )

My band emulated Señor Coconut at our last show and more than a few people came up to us afterwards to comment on it (though one guy told me I was playing flat - oh well).

--bumblebee

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    you're not helping Bee :D

let me quantify this... like playing Smoke on the Water as a solo trumpet

bumblebee likes this.
  8. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Give a listen to this and see how the tongue works for him and if it's not more compatible with what you're hearing. Henry Novak live in Seoul.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bMAHoQyLAk

I'm not commenting on the vibrato or other aspects of this performance, but on the use of tongue vs slurring.
    Nowak worked a lot with Pablo Casals so maybe there's some direct guidance in this use of articulations. Hard to beat anybody doing unaccompanied Bach than Casals.

If you're really interested in doing this right, I'd bone up on bowings, get a copy of an excellent cellist's music with bowing markings, and read "Casals and the Art of Interpretation" by D. Blum.

coolerdave likes this.
  9. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Sorry about that Dave!

I am sure you can search youtube as well as I can (probably better) so I suppose you might have found this one already:
    Bach Cello Suite 1 Prelude on Trumpet - YouTube

I think he overdid the reverb but otherwise not bad, don't you think?

--bumblebee

coolerdave likes this.
  10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    you know Bee... that reverb makes quite a difference .. makes sense since Bach wrote for churches ... I will give that a go ... after I can give it an honest play though ... okay you have more than made up for the Smoke on the Water seque.