Bach Cello Suite No.1 - Prelude .. anyone every try to play this on trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Tinseltown Rebellion is one of my favorite albums of all time. I'm sure Zappa would have done justice to the piece.

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I used to have a recording of the cello suites for trumpet that was done really well. no sissy down the 8ve for the last part of the first prelude.
    I have a Charles Colin publication of the suites, and practice the 1st and 2nd prelude every so often when I am in the mood for a chop buster. They are great fun to play, and a real workout.

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Hey Doc, you send me an mp3 of yourself playing that Freebird solo and I will stick a drum loop to it and run you through an effects processor :)

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I believe I have the Ralph Sauer book ... best workout I have run across. They my only be high C's at the end of that first Prelude but by the time I get there ... oh my ... hide the women and children.

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I kind of thought that ... I think the simulated church ambience makes this piece work a bit. The breathing on these pieces is a monster.

6. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I thought I'd heard of Ralph Sauer before - and here he is on YouTube playing the Cello Suite #1 Prelude on trombone:

Ralph Sauer performs Bach Cello Suite No.1 - YouTube

--bumblebee

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    That is the one I am using.. I have been practicing the 3 etude ... great workout ... just trying to make it sound musical and not like a technical study

8. mickvanflugel

mickvanflugel Forte User

Jul 1, 2011
    Germany
    Indeed, playing Bach the Cello Suite on a trombone fits much better IMHO.
    I´ve done that. Just do not tell any cello player ;-) Usually they freak out :lol:

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro