Bach Cello Suites-Free PDF!!!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MrWho3421, Nov 5, 2007.

1. MrWho3421

MrWho3421 Pianissimo User

Jun 1, 2006
    Hi Everyone!

I thought I would let all of you in on my latest Project! I am working on transcribing all 6 of Bach's Cello Suites for trumpet. Here is a little preview:

http://akbrasspress.com/Cello Suite I-Prelude.pdf

These will be available within the week from AK Brass Press.

Please let me know what you think.

2. derekkress

derekkress Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal Qc Canada
    It's fun when you don't have to breathe!:-o

3. MrWho3421

Jun 1, 2006
    Ha! Yeah, as trumpet players, we can't really do these things justice.

4. derekkress

derekkress Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal Qc Canada
    It will make for great "musical" studies and/or performances. Nice challenge! Enjoy the rest of your transcribing!:-)

5. MrWho3421

Jun 1, 2006
    I actually enjoyed transcribing the first 5 suites. The 6th flipps between bass clef, tenor clef and a moveable C clef on the bottom of the staff. It's giving my music reading abilities a good kick in the pants!

6. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Andrew-

A couple of thoughts...

-How much thought did you give to the slurs? There are a few of them that don't make a whole lot of sense to me. The first beat of m 10 is slured, but none of the preceding notes in the scale are. Throughout, slurring the first three sixteenth notes of a beat don't really coincide with the phrasing that most cellists use.

-In mm 21 and 22, you might want to make the higher notes optional instead of the lower ones.

I can only speak for myself, but I tend to think that less is best when it comes to editorial intervention. I would be more likely to buy an edition that has no markings than one with markings that I might have to change or edit myself.

Overall, very nice job. Engraving is something that has prevented me from taking on projects like this, but your music looks really good.

-Jimi

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  7. MrWho3421

Jun 1, 2006
    Jimi,

Thanks for the reply! I am actually using all of the markings that are in the score I am transcribing from. I don't feel it is my place to change what Bach wrote. I am doing everything verbatum. The only thing I am adding are the grace notes in place of the double and triple stops.

As far as the optional notes, I was going to put in the preface that the smaller notes on the bottom were the originals and should be played if possible. I thought long and hard about which one should be smaller. It came down to a coin toss. I just picked the top one because It is a note on the horn. Both arguements are valid. I just decided to make the bottom one small.

Thanks!

-AK

8. TheRiddler

TheRiddler Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2006
    USA
    French Violin Clef.

9. MrWho3421

Jun 1, 2006
    Is that what that is? Thanks! I don't think they ever taught us that in college.

10. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    AK-

I agree with your philosophy of not changing what Bach wrote 100%, just make sure that whoever produced the score that you are transcribing from was of the same mind. What edition are you using? If it's a Barenreiter or Wiener Urtext edition, you're ok (and I'll eat my words about the "odd" slurrings).

-Jimi

PS. I'm not trying to demean your work--it looks really great. I've done some music editing and took a VERY dull seminar in music publishing, so I tend to be overly critical sometimes...