Bach Cello Suites-Free PDF!!!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MrWho3421, Nov 5, 2007.

1. MrWho3421

MrWho3421 Pianissimo User

Jun 1, 2006
    Jimi,

I will check with my Cello friend who copied it for me. I think she said it was the original bach issue. I'll check just in case.

I appreciate your critical eye. Check your private messages.

2. MrWho3421

Jun 1, 2006
    Jimi,

Clear out some of your Private Messages!! I tried to send you something and it said you are above your quota.

3. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    AK-

Just cleaned it out (a little). The best way to reach me is emai: [email protected]

Cheers,
    Jimi

4. mlockman

mlockman New Friend

Feb 21, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Lets give this guy a hand. And I quote "I actually enjoyed transcribing the first 5 suites" My God, you would have to beat me with multiple instruments to get me to do that.

Kidding aside, thanks for the effort. I will enjoy playing them. Just don't let Mr. Bach hear me playing them.

5. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    to paraphrase a line from one of my favorite movies... you'd need a heater and some serious smelling salts for that to happen!

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hey, do not get the idea that Bach wrote these to be played like a maschine gun. There is a natural flow and an opportunity to phrase.
    I think all trumpet players interested in this stuff should buy a good recording to get some insight on what Bach really knew about cellos. The treatment of open strings gives a much different effect than just playing these like a Clarke technical study for instance!

7. MrWho3421

Jun 1, 2006
    Rowuk,

I completely agree. I have been listening to Yo-Yo Ma's recording the whole time I have been transcribing them. These are musical masterpieces!

-AK

8. derekkress

derekkress Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal Qc Canada
    If someone we're to tackle these transcriptions, the fun part is listening to a cello player for phrasing and interpretation and then be creative and adapt to trumpet playing.As an improviser my favourite jazz transcriptions have been those of saxophone players and guitar players.It helps me think "outside of the box" and develop my own personal sound.I would also check out some of those Canadian Brass recordings where they do string stuff like Vivaldi's Four Seasons.This can help with ideas and phrasing and how to transfer these arrangements to trumpet playing.Being technical is fun but being musical is what it is all about!(James Thompson always said "This is showbusiness after all"")Just a side note for fun trumpet playing and use of Eflat/piccolo/flugel/cornet/C and/or bflat check out Claude Bolling's Toot Suite for trumpet(for Maurice Andre) classical licks fusioned with a jazz trio . So much fun!!! Maybe those cello suites could be arranged and used in a similar context. That would be fun too!