Bach Eb 304

Discussion in 'Wise Talk!' started by Scott Apelgren, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Scott Apelgren

Scott Apelgren New Friend

Jun 22, 2005
    Central Florida
    Hi Wilmer,

You mentioned in an earlier post that you use a Bach 304 Eb/D trumpet. I picked one up recently becauce it was a super bargin. Then I realized that it was a pretty good horn! I liked it better than the high price horn I was using!! I was wondering if yours is all stock on both Eb and D sides and If you use your Bb mouthpice with it or do you change?

Mine is just set up for Eb but I can order the D slides anytime. Just a few pitch things I'm trying to work out! Thanks!

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    My horn is a very old one. It was made in the 1930s. I have lately been using a Laskey 80C on the horn. I put a finger ring on the first valve slide.
    This is the horn I played the Haydn on in Philadelphia. A year or so later, Gil Johnson recorded the same work with the orchestra.
    Wilmer

3. Scott Apelgren

Jun 22, 2005
    Central Florida
    Is it safe to assume the horn is the same design as the current 304? A small bore short model horn? I believe that Bach sells just a main tuning slide for the "D" conversion requiring you to adjust the valve slides accordingly.

Thanks again.

Scott

4. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    My horn looks quite different than the modern version.
    It is proportioned like a tiny Bb rather than a tiny C.
    I will try to find a picture of the horn from this period.
    Wilmer

5. Scott Apelgren

Jun 22, 2005
    Central Florida
  6. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Scott,

I think that's what Wilmer was saying... that one looks like a baby C. He said his looks like a baby Bb. So it sounds like Bach made some changes. It will be interesting to see if he finds a picture of it to post.

I had one of these (newer models) years ago and it played horribly... I'm sure Wilmer's is a different model... although great players (like Wilmer) can overcome most problem horns... this one was a real stinker... much like the Bach F / G that I still own.... it looks great on the shelf though... :-)

Rogerio

7. Scott Apelgren

Jun 22, 2005
    Central Florida
    You're probably right but it doesn't look as much like a C as the Bach long bell models do. That's why I was trying to clarify.

I have never found an Eb that I really liked so for me this has been a decent compromise. Pitch issues abound and I'm still trying different mouthpieces. I may end up moving on again but I'll work with it for a little while. Thanks.

8. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Wilmer, sorry to throw this topic into a left turn...

Scott,

I've heard some really great things from the Bach conversions that Charlie Melk (Wisconsin) is doing. He is taking a ML Bach C and converting them into Eb's with great success. He puts his own lead pipe on them with no tuning slide (like the E3L and etc) with a tuning bell. He is not advertising these on his web site... so you need to contact him directly.

9. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    I have also heard really good things about these instruments. I emailed Charlie about them and he always keeps one in his shop as a demo, so the first free weekend I get I think I'm going to drive over there and try them out.
    My favorite short horn I've ever played is a Bach C trumpet that was cut down to a D trumpet by one of my old teachers. The Bach leadpipe (an H, I think) was replaced with a blackburn leadpipe. It still plays like a C trumpet, but has a touch more zing to the sound.
    -Jimi

10. sinfoniantrumpeter

sinfoniantrumpeter Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2005
    They are fantastic horns (I just recieved mine). The intonation and sound is wonderful. I opted for the 239 bell (charlie actually recommends this option). Let me know if you want any more info.