Bach Eb

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hornblatt, Aug 5, 2005.

1. hornblatt

hornblatt Pianissimo User

Jul 30, 2005
    DC area
    Hi Manny. Just wondering, did you or any of the trumpet section of the Minnesota Orchestra ever own a Bach Eb? I bought one on ebay about a year ago. The previous owner said it originaly belonged to a someone in that orchestra. I've been wondering who it was and figured you might know.
    Thanks

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Hey, Annie!
    It could well have been mine if it's a long bell model in silver!

Fun!

ML

3. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    Would you recomend a bach Eb? I have been researching them a little trying to decide what to get. I know the schilkes are great, and the school's yamaha custom ive been using gets the job done, but both are a little expensive. I could find a used bach very cheap. Are they worth it?

4. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I liked them when i played them, JC. The intonation was an issue because Dave hadn't come out with a proper mouthpiece back then. I like the Schilke pitch better but did not care for the sound. I got the long bell Eb because I heard Andre play the Haydn with us and thought it would make a nice orchestral horn as well.

ML

5. hornblatt

Jul 30, 2005
    DC area
    I think that's the one!! It's a 239 in silver. The intonation was a big problem but I put some heavy valve caps and and a Monette E3 with it and now it's great. My dad noticed it on ebay because he recognized it as the same model Andre played. It has served me very well!! I've played it for everything from county solo fair to National Trumpet Competition. I got to play Hummel 3 on it at for some members of the BSO. It sounds great in a big hall. Anyway I like it a lot.

Thanks

6. jcstites

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    Brings up another question. I read that monette makes c trumpet mp's that are shorter, so does he make them even shorter for an Eb? (just read on the monette site that they do)

I have always just played my bach mp on all my horns except on picc. I have a few extra moutpieces , maybe i should mess around and cut them down a little. Ive never been able to try out a monette mp that fit me due to $, but maybe i should.

So my question, is this why so many people have problems with intonation on c and Eb trumpets?

7. Clarino

Clarino Mezzo Piano User

Nov 9, 2003
    Sheffield, England, UK

The smaller the trumpet, the more difficult it is to make it so that it plays well in tune with itself. That's why good piccs are expensive in spite of using much less raw material than ordinary Bbs. They require more care from the craftsman.
    It's also why the $50.00 Monique Piccs on eBay from India or wherever really are worthless.

8. jcstites

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    I understand that. I guess i could have phrased my question better, like:

"Is this another factor into why people have problems on smaller trumpets?"

9. hornblatt

Jul 30, 2005
    DC area
    The Eb mpc is only a little longer than a standard Bach cornet mpc. If you want to a pic of it check out this linkand look at the very bottom

It may be expensive but man was it the best $200 I've ever spent. Then again the horn was the best $900 I've ever spent!!
    There's a picture of the horn at the same site as the mpc, if you want to see it.

10. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Annie,

What a joy to know that one of my old horns is being enjoyed and played. You made my day!

Out there in the world are a few horns I've sold to pay for my upgrades to Dave's.

A Bach C with a 239 bell, lacquer, L
    A Bach C with a 229 bell, A pipe, silver, L
    A Bach Bb, 37 ML, silver
    A Selmer piccolo, lacquer
    A Monette C serial number 105, I recorded Alpine Symphony on it

Hmm.. that's all I can remember for now.

ML