Bach Flugel

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpettrax, Feb 23, 2011.

1. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    Does anyone have experience with playing the Bach flugel? Any good or bad abouth the horn that anyone can share? How does it compare to other flugels?

2. JoeyK1

JoeyK1 New Friend

Feb 12, 2011
    It plays like any Bach horn. However, I think it's generally better suited for a drum corps/marching band setting as opposed to a jazz setting. For a good jazz flugelhorn I'd recommend Yamaha (a Shew model is great, but they also have a cheaper model). That's just my opinion though of course. There isn't anything wrong with the Bach flugel, it just depends on what you want to do with it! :-)

3. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    I think that if you can play jazz, you can play it through any decent flugelhorn, regardless of brand.

Knowing Bach's reputation, the quality control and consistency of their flugelhorns will be quite good, so the task will just be to find one that's in good shape and that you like playing.

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    What does THAT mean???

One of Detroit's top lead guy plays a Bach flugel and sounds great....in a jazz setting.

Plays like any Bach horn???

What does THAT mean?

Those are statements that a high school player with not much actual playing time would make.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    When I wake up in the morning and think about DCI, always think of the Bach flugel! Every time!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    When I wake up in the morning and NEVER think about DCI, and never think of the Bach flugel!

It is STUPID to try and shoehorn a Bach flugel into some corner. They are "traditional" type flugels and do not limit the players capability for expression. I also have colleagues out there with them - and not one marches......... must be my limited experience!:evil:

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    ;-);-) Actually when I think DCI, I think of a marching band full of people that say they aren't a marching band.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    To actually help and answer your question, minus my sarcasm, I know quite a few older players that like their Bachs, BUT, they have older Bachs. I've switched up with them and to be blunt, they all sound pretty much the same. I have blown on Blessings, Couesnon (own an alto), Stomvi, Getzen, Yamaha, and own a Jupiter 846. Unless you're going the Clark Terry route, I would look for the best bang for your buck. Sometimes I go for weeks when I won't have to play a flugel. It really just depends on how much you're going to use it.:thumbsup:

9. rainbowboy023

rainbowboy023 Pianissimo User

Feb 15, 2011
    Australia
    I played a Bach flugel for a couple years before getting my Courtis 4 valve then eventually my Eclipse and find them rather similar to Bach's trumpets in feel but I feel they have too many intonation problems (but not so many that vigorous use of the third valve trigger can't fix it). The sound is OK, not bad but it doesn't stand out from any other flugels out their too much. Overall I think its just average not good but not bad either.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  10. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    The Bach flugel didn't sound much different than my Bach trumpet when I played it........but, maybe that's what you want. I wanted something smooth and mellow. Needless to say.....I love my Courtois 154R