Bach Kantate Nr 51

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bugler, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Bugler

Bugler Banned

I don't do much playing on anything other than a Bb, but a good friend has asked me to do the Bach Kantate Nr. 51 with her in the fall.

The copy of the sheet music I have is for trumpet in C. I do not own a C trumpet, but I do have a 1950's Benge D/Eb trumpet.

Would it be sacreligious to transpose the C part and play it on the D trumpet?

Anyone?

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Not at all! Jauchzet Gott is usually played on piccolo, in A,Bb, or G. D should work just fine, provided you can stay light and "sopranoish." Have fun!

3. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    No one will know which horn you are using unless you tell them.
    Play it beautifully on the horn of YOUR choice.
    Wilmer

4. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Bugler,

I've had the opportunity to perform this on both the picc and a G trumpet. I've never tried it on the D or a C.

I would imagine the challenge would be to keep it light and not over power the soprano. The first time I did this the soprano had a HUGE voice, the second time not so huge.

The last movement is worth the l-o-n-g wait.

Let me know if you need to borrow the strings and keyboard parts.

Congrats and best wishes. It's a great showcase for the trumpet.

Rogerio

5. Bugler

Bugler Banned

Thanks for the generous offer Rog. I don't know what the instrumentation is going to be yet, but I think she's got the sheet music covered nevertheless.

I think she's also just doing the 1st mvmt. (That's all I've been working on - LOL)

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The D trumpet would be easier than playing it on a C. The trills lay more comfortably.
    This piece characterizes "make a joyful noise unto the Lord" better than ANY other piece in trumpet literature!

Michael Laird has a very commendable reading with the natural trumpet. Emma Kirkby sings it fabulously!

7. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    I don't know this piece by name. And with that description Robin, I must give a listen.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown

9. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    VB,

I think the "noise" is in there for those "not so ready for prime time" sopranos.

I guess that could be said for trumpet noises as well.... LOL

Hey, anyone know how I can get my "emotion icons (faces)" back on? I seem to have lost them long ago when the site got an update. Thanks.